Prove mass, velocity and KE are their respected quantities

In summary: It helps to understand the concept better. In summary, we can see that KE is a scalar quantity as it is defined as ##KE=1/2 m v^2##, where ##m## is a scalar and ##v## is a vector. The dot product between two vectors gives a scalar, and the cross product gives another vector. Mass is also a scalar, as it is defined as such, and it does not have a direction. Additionally, basic arithmetic properties, such as even powers always being positive, can be useful in understanding physics concepts, such as the fact that it takes the same amount of energy to accelerate a body in any direction.
YES q THE zU19
I have done the example for momentum.

And I gather that scalar*vector=vector.

I know that mass and KE is scalar, velocity is vector.

Can someone show me proofs like for what I have said above.

Not just mass is scalar because it does not have direction etc.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
KE is defined as ##KE=1/2 m v^2##, where ##m## is a scalar and ##v## is a vector. ##v^2## is short for ## v \cdot v## which is the dot product, an operation which takes two vectors and returns a scalar. So although ##v## is a vector ##v^2## is a scalar, and thus KE is a scalar.

Likes YES q THE zU19
Dale said:
KE is defined as ##KE=1/2 m v^2##, where ##m## is a scalar and ##v## is a vector. ##v^2## is short for ## v \cdot v## which is the dot product, an operation which takes two vectors and returns a scalar. So although ##v## is a vector ##v^2## is a scalar, and thus KE is a scalar.

Thank you, this was what I was looking for.

So in general we have;

scalar*scalar= scalar?

scalar*vector = vector

vector*vector = scalar.

What about work done though?

Work done = energy

So force * distance = vector * scalar? = vector

Could you also kindly tell me about how to prove mass is scalar please.

YES q THE zU19 said:
Work done = energy
So force * distance = vector * scalar? = vector
Work is force times displacement. Displacement is a vector, not a scalar. The product is a dot product and produces a scalar.

Could you also kindly tell me about how to prove mass is scalar please.
Mass is defined as a scalar. It is a scalar by definition.

Likes YES q THE zU19
YES q THE zU19 said:
vector*vector = scalar.
Not always. There are two vector products. The dot product takes two vectors and gives a scalar, but the cross product takes two vectors and gives another vector. These are usually written as ##a \cdot b## and ##a \times b## respectively.

For the rest of your questions I agree with jbriggs444's answers above, particularly for Newtonian mechanics.

Likes YES q THE zU19
Dale said:
The dot product takes two vectors and gives a scalar, but the cross product takes two vectors and gives another vector.

And the tensor product results in a matrix.

Don't forget a useful property of basic arithmetic. For real numbers, even powers are always positive, odd powers can be plus or minus. Vectors, like velocity, need to have direction and thus change sign. Scalars, like temperature or speed, have no sign.

That is not physics, but it can be useful in physics. For example, ##mv^2## is always positive. It takes the same energy to accelerate a body to an eastward velocity as to a westward velocity. You can spot that instantly because the power 2 is even.

jbriggs444 said:
Work is force times displacement. Displacement is a vector, not a scalar. The product is a dot product and produces a scalar.Mass is defined as a scalar. It is a scalar by definition.

Thank you.

Dale said:
Not always. There are two vector products. The dot product takes two vectors and gives a scalar, but the cross product takes two vectors and gives another vector. These are usually written as ##a \cdot b## and ##a \times b## respectively.

For the rest of your questions I agree with jbriggs444's answers above, particularly for Newtonian mechanics.

Thanks dale.

anorlunda said:
Don't forget a useful property of basic arithmetic. For real numbers, even powers are always positive, odd powers can be plus or minus. Vectors, like velocity, need to have direction and thus change sign. Scalars, like temperature or speed, have no sign.

That is not physics, but it can be useful in physics. For example, ##mv^2## is always positive. It takes the same energy to accelerate a body to an eastward velocity as to a westward velocity. You can spot that instantly because the power 2 is even.

Thank you for this.

1. What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg) using a balance or scale.

2. How is velocity defined and what are its units?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

4. How are mass, velocity and kinetic energy related?

Mass, velocity, and kinetic energy are related through the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. This means that an object's kinetic energy increases as its mass or velocity increases.

5. Can mass, velocity, and kinetic energy be proven to be conserved quantities?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of energy, mass, velocity, and kinetic energy are all conserved quantities. This means that they cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.