1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove set of sequences is a basis

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    Let c_00 be the subspace of all sequences of complex numbers that are "eventually zero". i.e. for an element x∈c_00, ∃N∈N such that xn=0,∀n≥n.

Let {e_i}, i∈N be the set where e_i is the sequence in c_00 given by (e_i)_n =1 if n=i and (e_i)_n=0 if n≠i.

Show that (e_i), i∈N is a basis for c_00.

So I need to show it's linearly independent and that it spans c_00. I am not sure how to go about proving this makes it confusing is that it's an infinite set, so I can't use the usual method and take a finite number of vectors.

I have an idea of how to prove linear independence, but not spanning.

Any tips/hints?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmm, I think contradiction would be good here.

Suppose that ##\{e_i\}## is not a basis for ##C_∞##.

What does that tell you about ##\{e_i\}##?

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SMA_01! :smile:
    I don't see the difficulty :confused: … for spanning, you need to prove that given any element, there's a finite number of basis elements that it is a linear combination of.

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4
    What confused me was the fact that c_00 and {e_i} are infinite sets.

6. Sep 30, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i] they're not sets :confused:

ii] all you have to do is add a finite number of them …

what difficulty would you have adding a finite number of decimal expansions? :smile:

7. Sep 30, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I would just like to make a side note that ##\{e_i\}## is a countably infinite set of sequences.

##C_∞## is an infinite dimensional subspace.

8. Sep 30, 2013 #7
    Sorry, c_00 is a subspace, but {e_i} is a set.
    I understand now though how a finite number of the e_i's span any x in c_00, because x_n=0 for n≥N :smile:

9. Sep 30, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, that's the idea.

Since you know any sequence in ##C_∞## converges to zero (eventually the sequence terminates), it will always be possible to find a finite basis. You can scale this finite basis accordingly to represent any element in ##C_∞##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted