Prove $\sin^n 2x+(\sin^n x - \cos^n x)^2\le 1$ in POTW #393

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the inequality $\sin^n 2x+(\sin^n x - \cos^n x)^2\le 1$ for all real numbers $x$ and positive integers $n$. This problem is significant as it involves trigonometric functions and can be used to demonstrate their properties in a mathematical proof. The approach to solving this problem is to manipulate the given inequality using trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques. It can be considered moderately difficult and some helpful tips for solving it include starting with the simpler case of $n=1$ and using the double angle formula for sine, as well as being familiar with common trigonometric identities and properties.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Prove that $\sin^n 2x+(\sin^n x - \cos^n x)^2\le 1$.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered last week's POTW.

Here is a suggested solution from other:
Let $s=\sin x$ and $c=\cos x$, then the left-hand side expression becomes

$2^ns^nc^n+(s^n-c^n)^2=(2^n-2)s^nc^n+s^{2n}+c^{2n}$

while the right-hand side expression becomes

\(\displaystyle 1=(s^2+c^2)^n=s^{2n}+c^{2n}+\sum_{i=1}^{n-1}{n \choose i}s^{2n-2i}c^{2i}\)

Now, we have to show that \(\displaystyle (2^n-2)s^nc^n\le \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}{n \choose i}s^{2n-2i}c^{2i}\).

But that is immediate from AM-GM inequality that applies to the $2^n-2$ terms of $s^n c^n$.

Note that there are the same number of terms $s^{2n-2i}c^{2i}$ and $s^{2i}c^{2n-2i}$ and the product of each pair is $s^{2n}c^{2n}$. Hence the geometric mean is $s^n c^n$.

What is the statement of the problem in POTW #393?

The problem states that we need to prove that for any positive integer n, the inequality $\sin^n 2x+(\sin^n x - \cos^n x)^2\le 1$ holds true for all values of x.

What are the common techniques used to prove inequalities?

The most common techniques used to prove inequalities are mathematical induction, algebraic manipulation, and trigonometric identities.

How can we use mathematical induction to prove the given inequality?

We can use mathematical induction by first proving that the inequality holds true for n=1, and then assuming that it holds true for n=k and using that to prove that it also holds true for n=k+1.

Can we use trigonometric identities to simplify the given inequality?

Yes, we can use trigonometric identities such as $\sin 2x = 2\sin x \cos x$ and $\sin^2 x + \cos^2 x = 1$ to simplify the given inequality and make it easier to prove.

Are there any other helpful tips or strategies to prove this inequality?

One helpful strategy is to split the inequality into two parts and prove each part separately. Another tip is to carefully analyze the given inequality and try to manipulate it in a way that will make it easier to prove.