1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a function must have only x dependency

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    If I have this equation:

\int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{e^{-x}}{\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)}f(x,t)xdx}=Ag(t)

I am interested to show that f(x,t) must be g(t). This condition must be necessary and sufficient. Is this possible to prove?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    First, what does [tex]\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)[/tex] mean?

Second, is the problem to show that the only way for this statement to be true is for f(x,t) to be equal to g(t) (for all x)?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. Jun 13, 2010 #3
    [tex]\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)=\int_0^{\Delta T}f(x,t)dt[/tex]
    sorry, I skip the "dt"
    yes, for all positive x.
  5. Jun 13, 2010 #4
    What is ΔT?
  6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    a positive real number, sorry
  7. Jun 13, 2010 #6
    Once you do the outer integration, all instances of x disappear, so you are left with a function of t. Of course, it's completely possible this may equal ±∞ for some or all values of t.
  8. Jun 13, 2010 #7
    if the integrandus if choose to be positive for all x and t, can't you say nothing?

furthermore,if [tex]f(x,t)=g(t)+h(x)[/tex]
    is now possibile to prove that h(x)=0 for all x??
  9. Jun 13, 2010 #8
    I don't understand your line of questioning. What does f(x,t) being positive have to do with anything? Moreover, you can not say that f(x,t) = g(t) + h(x) without further constraints on f(x,t); who knows how mixed up x and t are. The process of integration gets rid of the x.
  10. Jun 13, 2010 #9
    of course it does.
    sorry, I wasn't as clear as possibile.
    If now I fix the x dependency by means of f(x,t)=g(t)+h(x), it can be proved that h(x)=0 or I'm fancy about it?
  11. Jun 13, 2010 #10

Science Advisor

[tex]\int_a^b f(t)dt= \int_a^b f(u)du= \int_a^b f(x)dx= \int_a^b f(y)dy= F(b)- F(a)[/tex].

Whatever variable the integral is "with respect to" is a "dummy" variable and does not appear in the result. "t" is the only "true" variable in that equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook