1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that a sequence which is bounded above cannot tend to infinity

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    question 1 : Prove that a sequence which is bounded above cannot tend to infinity
    What i did was state the definition ... but I'm trying to proof by contradiction. So i first suppose that a(n) tends to infinity , then a(n) > C . But since it is bounded above , C < or = to U , where U is the upper bound .
    This is where i got stuck. Any ideas ?

question 2 : I am required to prove the this sequence does not tend to infinity
    B(n) = cos(n^2 + 7)
    how am i suppose to do this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Sequences

Saying "a(n)> C" makes no sense until you have said what C is!

Well, just a random guess, but since you were just asked to prove that "if a sequence is bounded above is cannot tend to infinity", how about finding an upper bound for cos(n2+ 7)?:rolleyes: There's an obvious one.

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3

i got question 2
    does is this statement true : that for any bounded sequence, it cannot tend to infinity ?

for question 1 , a sequence tend to infinity for every C>0 , there exist a nat no. N such that a(n) > C whenever n>N
    what do you mean i have not said what is C ?
    isn't c just a number ?

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is exactly what you were asked to prove in question 1!

You statement here, "a sequence tends to infinity for every C> 0" makes no sense (the sequence does not depend on any C) and that is NOT what you said in your first post: "Prove that a sequence which is bounded above cannot tend to infinity"- there is no "C" in that.

My point about not saying what C was is that you said earlier: "So i first suppose that a(n) tends to infinity , then a(n) > C" and THAT makes no sense because you haven't said what C is. You did not say, for example that C was a number. Even if you did say "C is a number" you still wouldn't have proven it. Yes, you must have [itex]C\le U[/itex], but if C were, for example, 2, it might be that the upperbound on {a(n)} was 3! What you meant to say, and should say, is that if {a(n)} "tends to infinity", then for C any number, there exist N such that a(N)> C. If the upperbound on {a(n)} is U, take C= U+ 1. Then what do you have?

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5

but it reads here from my notes that the definition is stated as i said ... could i then have a correct definition of a sequence that tends to infinity ?

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you wrote, and what I was objecting to was:
    " a sequence tend to infinity for every C>0 "
    which should be " a sequence tend to infinity IF for every C>0".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?