Prove that Any Cubed Function is Differentiable (delta-epsilon method)

In summary, we need to prove that for any function f such that f(x)=x^3 for any x in R, the limit as h approaches 0 of (f(a+h)-f(a))/h exists, in order to show that f is differentiable. This can be achieved by showing that for any given epsilon greater than 0, there exists a delta greater than 0 such that if 0 < |h| < delta, then |3ah+h^2| < epsilon. This requires limiting the size of 3a+h in terms of the statement 0 < |h| < delta, which can be done by choosing delta as the minimum of 1 and epsilon/(3|a|+1
5hassay

Homework Statement

Prove that:

Any function [itex] f [/itex] such that [itex] f(x)=x^3 [/itex] for any [itex] x \in [/itex] R is differentiable.

Homework Equations

Skip.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay! So, to conclude, it must be shown that, for any [itex] a [/itex] in the domain of [itex] f [/itex],

[itex] \displaystyle \exists \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} [/itex].

Quickly,

[itex] \displaystyle \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} [/itex]
[itex] {} = \displaystyle \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left( 3a^2 + 3ah + h^2 \right) [/itex].

Now, the latter limit must be proved (via delta-epsilon method) to equal [itex] 3a^2 [/itex]. (This is the part I am having most trouble with, where delta-epsilon proofs are still sort of a mystery to me.)

Suppose [itex] \varepsilon > 0 [/itex] is given. So, we should be able to show that if [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex] for some [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex], then we have [itex] \left| \left( 3a^2 + 3ah + h^2 \right) - 3a^2 \right| = \left| h \right| \cdot \left| 3a + h \right| < \varepsilon [/itex]. Well, we could choose [itex] \delta = \varepsilon / \left| 3a + h \right| [/itex], however we must limit the size of [itex] \left| 3a + h \right| [/itex] in terms of our [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex] statement (why must we do this?). With that said, suppose [itex] \delta = 1 [/itex]. Then, [itex] \left| h \right| < 1 [/itex]. Yet, this means [itex] \left| 3a + h \right| \leq \left| 3a \right| + \left| h \right| < 3 \left| a \right| + 1 [/itex]. Therefore, the claim (hopefully!) follows if we choose [itex] \delta = \min \left\{ 1, \varepsilon / \left( 3 \left| a \right| + 1 \right) \right\} [/itex].

QED

(Thanks for any help and or advice!)

Physics news on Phys.org
5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:

Any function [itex] f [/itex] such that [itex] f(x)=x^3 [/itex] for any [itex] x \in [/itex] R is differentiable.

Homework Equations

Skip.

Okay! So, to conclude, it must be shown that, for any [itex] a [/itex] in the domain of [itex] f [/itex],

[itex] \displaystyle \exists \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} [/itex].

Quickly,

[itex] {} = \displaystyle \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left( 3a^2 + 3ah + h^2 \right) [/itex].

Now, the latter limit must be proved (via delta-epsilon method) to equal [itex] 3a^2 [/itex]. (This is the part I am having most trouble with, where delta-epsilon proofs are still sort of a mystery to me.)

Suppose [itex] \varepsilon > 0 [/itex] is given. So, we should be able to show that if [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex] for some [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex], then we have [itex] \left| \left( 3a^2 + 3ah + h^2 \right) - 3a^2 \right| = \left| h \right| \cdot \left| 3a + h \right| < \varepsilon [/itex]. Well, we could choose [itex] \delta = \varepsilon / \left| 3a + h \right| [/itex], however we must limit the size of [itex] \left| 3a + h \right| [/itex] in terms of our [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex] statement (why must we do this?). With that said, suppose [itex] \delta = 1 [/itex]. Then, [itex] \left| h \right| < 1 [/itex]. Yet, this means [itex] \left| 3a + h \right| \leq \left| 3a \right| + \left| h \right| < 3 \left| a \right| + 1 [/itex]. Therefore, the claim (hopefully!) follows if we choose [itex] \delta = \min \left\{ 1, \varepsilon / \left( 3 \left| a \right| + 1 \right) \right\} [/itex].

QED

Did you intend to say (I hope):
"... So, we should be able to show that if [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < \delta [/itex] for some [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex], ..."​

... and similar correction in the other place that you wrote:
[itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex]​
should also be
[itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < \delta [/itex]​

Otherwise, it's impossible for there to be such a number, h .

Added in Edit:
Your δ looks correct.

Your proof in somewhat in the reverse order of what it needs to be.

You have essentially shown the "scratch work" needed to find what δ you need in terms of ε. In your "final proof ", the one you turn in for credit, you need to show:
If 0 < |h| < δ , (i.e. [itex]\displaystyle 0<|h|<\min\left(1,\ \frac{\varepsilon}{3|a|+1}\right) [/itex]) then [itex]|3ah+h^2|<\varepsilon[/itex]​

Last edited:
5hassay said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:

Homework Equations

Skip.

Quickly,

QED

Were you told that you must use the epsilon-delta method *directly*, or are you allowed to use and apply _properties_ of limits? If the latter, here is what facts I would use (and you COULD prove these by an epsilon-delta method!):

(1) If lim_{h->0} g_1(h) = a_1 and lim_{h->0} g_2(h) = a_2 exist, then lim_{h->0} [g_1(h) + g_2(h)] exists and it equals a_1 + a_2 (In other words, the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits).
(2) If c is a constant, then lim_{h->0} c*g(h) = c* lim_{h->0} g(h).
(3) if g_1 and g_2 have limits, then lim g_1(h)*g_2(h) = lim g_1(h) * lim g_2(h) (that is, the limit of a product is the product of the limits).

Now lim (3a^2 + 3ah + h^2) = lim(3a^2) + lim(3ah) + lim(h^2), by (1); lim(3ah) = 3a lim(h) = 0 (by (2); and lim(h^2) = (lim h)^2 (by (3)).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Were you told that you must use the epsilon-delta method *directly*, or are you allowed to use and apply _properties_ of limits? If the latter, here is what facts I would use (and you COULD prove these by an epsilon-delta method!):

(1) If lim_{h->0} g_1(h) = a_1 and lim_{h->0} g_2(h) = a_2 exist, then lim_{h->0} [g_1(h) + g_2(h)] exists and it equals a_1 + a_2 (In other words, the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits).
(2) If c is a constant, then lim_{h->0} c*g(h) = c* lim_{h->0} g(h).
(3) if g_1 and g_2 have limits, then lim g_1(h)*g_2(h) = lim g_1(h) * lim g_2(h) (that is, the limit of a product is the product of the limits).

Now lim (3a^2 + 3ah + h^2) = lim(3a^2) + lim(3ah) + lim(h^2), by (1); lim(3ah) = 3a lim(h) = 0 (by (2); and lim(h^2) = (lim h)^2 (by (3)).

RGV

Hmmm... I would imagine I could use such properties of limits! For example, those properties were indeed proved in the textbook (via delta-epsilon method, too!), and we are allowed to use anything proved or stated by the author in proofs for problems (from the textbook). Thanks! I kind of forgot that I was (at least, I think) allowed to do that, haha.

However, if you don't mind, I would greatly appreciate any commentary on my delta-epsilon proof, as I am sure I will be required to do one in the near future.

EDIT: Oh, sorry! I didn't notice the first comment that indeed made comments on it. So, only if you have time, then, as that would be great!---
Much appreciation,

5hassay

SammyS said:
Did you intend to say (I hope):
"... So, we should be able to show that if [itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < \delta [/itex] for some [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex], ..."​

... and similar correction in the other place that you wrote:
[itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < 0 [/itex]​
should also be
[itex] 0 < \left| h \right| < \delta [/itex]​

Otherwise, it's impossible for there to be such a number, h .

Added in Edit:
Your δ looks correct.

Your proof in somewhat in the reverse order of what it needs to be.

You have essentially shown the "scratch work" needed to find what δ you need in terms of ε. In your "final proof ", the one you turn in for credit, you need to show:
If 0 < |h| < δ , (i.e. [itex]\displaystyle 0<|h|<\min\left(1,\ \frac{\varepsilon}{3|a|+1}\right) [/itex]) then [itex]|3ah+h^2|<\varepsilon[/itex]​

Oh, dearest me, hahaha! Yes, I did mean what you speculated myself to mean (sorry!).

And, about the order, I also seemed to forget about that, as well.

Okay! Well, that's great, then! Progress here is definitely quite wonderful, as I would like to move on to the calculus part of Michael Spivak's, "Calculus," without a poor understanding in limit proofs slowing me down.

---
Much appreciation,

Lucas

1. What is the delta-epsilon method?

The delta-epsilon method, also known as the limit definition of a derivative, is a mathematical approach for proving the differentiability of a function at a specific point. It involves using the limit of a difference quotient to determine the slope of a function at a given point.

2. Why is it important to prove the differentiability of a function?

Proving the differentiability of a function is important because it allows us to determine the rate of change of the function at a specific point. This information is crucial in many real-world applications, such as optimization and modeling physical systems.

3. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no sharp corners or breaks. Geometrically, a differentiable function has a tangent line at every point on its graph.

4. How does the delta-epsilon method prove differentiability?

The delta-epsilon method uses the definition of a derivative, which is the limit of a difference quotient. By manipulating this limit using algebraic and trigonometric identities, we can show that the limit exists and is equal to the slope of the function at the given point. This proves the differentiability of the function.

5. Can the delta-epsilon method be used for any function?

Yes, the delta-epsilon method can be used for any function. However, it can be a complicated and time-consuming process, so it is typically reserved for proving the differentiability of more complex functions, such as cubed functions. For simpler functions, other methods such as the power rule or product rule may be more efficient.