1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that if C and D are closed sets, then C U D is a closed set.

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to show that if [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex] and closed sets, then [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] is a closed set.

2. Relevant equations
    A set is called closed iff the set contains all of its accumulation points.

3. The attempt at a solution

In order for me to prove this statement, I will be able to use the fact that [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex] are closed sets. Can I prove this statement by supposing that if [tex]c[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]d[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]D[/tex], then both [tex]c[/tex] and [tex]d[/tex] will be accumulation points of [tex]C \bigcup D [/tex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. So you should start your proof with: let x be an accumulation point of [itex]C \cup D[/itex] and then show that [itex]x \in C \cup D[/itex]. This is pretty trivial.

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    I wish this was trivial for me. :) Well, I had the correct intuition on how to prove the statement. Let me see if I can write the proof correctly. Thanks.

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4
    How does this proof look?

Proof: Suppose [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]. Then either [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex] or [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]D[/tex] or [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex].

Case I: Without loss of generality, suppose that [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex]. Since [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex], it follows that [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] is closed.

Case II: Suppose [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex]. Then [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] is closed.
    [tex]\Box[/tex]​

6. Oct 25, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, x0 is an accumulation point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] by hypothesis. You wanted to prove it was IN [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]

Same point. In both cases, you need to show that x0 is IN [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex], not that it is an accumulation point- that was your hypothesis. Somewhere in there you will need to use the definition of "accumulation point".

7. Oct 25, 2008 #6
    Ok, I see what I did wrong. Let me try this again. Thanks

8. Oct 25, 2008 #7
    Does this look better?

Proof: Suppose [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]. Then either [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex] or [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]D[/tex] or [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex].

Case I: Without loss of generality, suppose that [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of [tex]C[/tex]. Since [tex]C[/tex] is closed, it follows that [tex]x_0 \in C[/tex]. Since [tex]x_0 \in C[/tex], it follows that [tex]x_0 \in C \bigcup D[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] is closed.

Case II: Suppose [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex]. Since both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex] are closed, it follows that [tex]x_0 \in C[/tex] and [tex]x_0 \in D[/tex]. Thus [tex]x_0 \in C \bigcup D[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex] is closed.
    [tex]\Box[/tex]​

9. Oct 25, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your teacher is likely to ask you to justify this. Suppose there were some sequence {xn}, with some points in C and some in D that converges to x0. Then x0 is an accumulation point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex]. Does it follow that there must exist a sequence {cn} completely in C that converges to x0
    or a sequence {dn} completely in D that converges to x0?

Once you have cleared up the point I mentioned, there is no need to do this second case. If x0 is an accumulation point of both C and D, then it is an accumulation point of C and Case I applies.

I notice that you still haven't used the definition of "accumulation point". If I say that x is a "whatever" point of [tex]C \bigcup D[/tex], does it follow that it is a "whatever" point either C or D no matter what "whatever" point means?

10. Oct 25, 2008 #9
    Well, I think this is true. Intuitively, I want to say that if there is a sequence {xn} with some points in both C and D that accumulate at x0, and we remove those points only in D, then we would still be able to find subsequences in C that converge to x0, and vice versa.

Regarding me not using the definition of accumulation point in this proof, I guess that is because not only am I weak with the concept of accumulation points, but I'm still learning how to write proofs. I wasn't sure if I even had to use the definition of an accumulation point. I'm still not sure if I have to use it.

I see that this is false. I was thinking of intersection when I wrote [tex]x_0[/tex] is an accumulation point of both [tex]C[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?