1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that if x > limsup s_n, then x is not the limit of any subsequence

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Directly from the definition, for a sequence [tex](s_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}} \subseteq \mathbb{R}[/tex] prove that if [tex]x > \limsup s_n [/tex], then [tex]x[/tex] is not the limit of any subsequence of [tex](s_n)[/tex]. (i.e. Do not use the fact that [tex]\limsup s_n[/tex] is the supremum of the set of subsequential limits.)

2. Relevant equations
    I have been told by my instructor that my proof will fail due to problems with inequalities --- but I fail to see where it would fail; i.e. are there any errors where [tex]>[/tex] should be [tex]\ge[/tex] or vice-versa?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please see the attachment.

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2
    This should fall into place by using both facts. Try using a contradiction. I have a rough proof below:

WARNING: A POSSIBLE SOLUTION IS HERE. DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU WANT TO.

Suppose x > lim sup (S_n) and some subsequence (S_K(n)) has x as a limit, where K(n) is a strictly increasing function of natural numbers. If x is the limit of (S_K(n)), then for every epsilon there exists a M such that for all m > M, |S_K(m) - x| < epsilon. Since (S_K(n)) contains only terms in (S_n) and all terms of (S_n) are smaller than x, then every term of (S_K(n)) is smaller than x. Hence for any m > M, |S_K(m) - x| > 0. Let T = lim inf (|S_K(m) - x|) for all m > M. If T = 0, then x = lim sup (S_K(n)) which is less than or equal to (S_n), a contradiction. Hence T is non-zero. Since T is non-zero and positive, take epsilon to be smaller than T, say epsilon = T / 2. |S_K(m) - x| >= T > epsilon for all m > M. Hence x is not the limit of (S_K(m)), a contradiction.

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3
    @CaffeineJunky

Thanks for your proof! May I ask some follow up questions --- just for the sake of knowing the motivations, etc.

You wrote let [tex]T = \liminf (|S_{K(m)} - x|)[/tex] for all [tex]m > M[/tex] and showed that we must have [tex]T > 0[/tex] and then set [tex]\varepsilon = T / 2[/tex]. I have two questions:

(1) What lead your motivation for constructing [tex]T = \liminf (|S_{K(m)} - x|)[/tex]? I just want to know what "sparked" you to think of using the limit inferior for this proof, as I'd never thought of introducing this when I wrote my attempted proof (see attached).

(2) May I confirm my understanding of your last second to last sentence? You wrote that if [tex]T > 0[/tex], then we have [tex]|S_{K(m)} - x| \geq T[/tex].

That is, if in general we have a sequence, say, [tex](a_n)[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], and if [tex]\lim a_n = a[/tex], where [tex] a > 0 [/tex], then we can conclude that there exists some [tex]N[/tex] such that for all [tex]n > N, a_n > 0[/tex]; that is, it is not necessarily true that we have [tex]a_n > a[/tex] for all [tex]n > N[/tex]. But in this case, since [tex]T[/tex] is also the limit inferior, we must have that [tex]|S_{K(m)} - x| \geq T > 0[/tex] by properties of the infimum. Is this understanding correct?

Thanks!

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4
    I'm not sure if the proof is 100% correct. I mean, I did word it poorly and things do need to be fixed up. but I believe the general idea is correct.

1. It just seemed to fit in order to find a value of epsilon: Take the smallest element of the set and take a smaller element to be your epsilon. Then no matter what you wouldn't be able to produce a M such that the limit inequality is less than the chosen number, which ends up contradicting the fact that every epsilon had such an M. (Although in this case, the number M isn't really as important as a well-chosen epsilon.)

Keep in mind that the goal is to show that there is no convergent subsequence whose limit is x. I had to use the negation of the definition in order to prove this to be the case, since we have little else to work with.

2. I believe your assertion is correct. It is certainly the case that A_n doesn't always has to be greater than a. Think of something such as sin(n) * exp(-n) + 1. This constantly oscillates but it still converges to 1 as n becomes arbitrarily large, because at some point it has to be within a small enough neighborhood of 1 for sufficiently large n. If it doesn't, then intuitively convergence cannot happen. (Remember, only the ultimate behavior of a sequence matters when dealing with convergence.)

P.S. I am unable to view your attachment since it is pending approval.

6. Aug 12, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm new to this forum and I was not aware that attachments need to be "approved" --- for future postings, I'll just directly type my message rather than attaching it.

Thank you again for your proof and clarifications!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook