1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the greatest angle is 120

1. Jan 18, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The sides of a triangle are [itex]x^2+3x+3, 2x+3,x^2+2x[/itex]. Prove that the greatest angle of the triangle is 120°.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The greatest angle is the one opposite to the greatest side. But how to decide which one is greatest side? Also the sides are variable.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The side lengths must be positive numbers. Is x2+3x+3>x2+2x? Is x2+3x+3>2x+3?

ehild

4. Jan 19, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Assuming x > 0, it should be obvious which is the longest side. (But you can't say in general which is the shortest.)
    Do you know the cosine rule relating lengths of sides of a triangle?

5. Jan 19, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the value of x. If you graph y1 = x^2 + 3x + 3, y2 = x^2 + 2x, and y3 = 2x + 3, two of the graphs are parabolas and one is a straight line. On the interval [0, 1], the largest values are for y1 = x^2 + 3x + 3 and the smallest are for y2 = x^2 + 2x. For the interval [-1, 0] the order is different.

6. Jan 19, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it turns out not to.

7. Jan 19, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

By what I said, I meant that the values of the three expressions depend on x. As you said, one of the sides is the longest, but for other two sides, it depends on which interval you're looking at.

8. Jan 19, 2013 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Turns out x has to be positive, otherwise one of the sides has a negative length.
    And if x is positive, there is only one side that can be longest.

I found the results were even more impressive when I worked it through...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook