Prove that the series SUM (-1)^n n/p_n converges where p_n are primes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Dragonfall
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement



Prove that [tex]\sum(-1)^n\frac{n}{p_n}[/tex] converges, where [tex]p_n[/tex] is the nth prime.

Homework Equations



The sequence [tex]\frac{n}{p_n}[/tex] is definitely not monotone if there exists infinitely many twin primes, since [tex]2n-p_n<0[/tex] for sufficiently large n, so alternating series test is out. Are there any other ways of showing this converges?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the prime number theorem? This says that:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{p_n}{n \ln n} = 1[/tex]
 
I can't use it for the series. I can only establish that n/p_n -> 0, which is insufficient for the series. I can't even prove that n/p_n is NOT monotone for large n, unless I assume the twin prime conjecture, for example.