1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the torque of any current loop is m X B

1. May 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem 6.2 of Griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics": Starting from the Lorentz force law ##\vec F=\int I (d\vec l \times \vec B)##, show that the torque on any steady current distribution (not just a square loop) in a uniform field ##\vec B## is ##\vec m\times \vec B##. (##\vec m## is the magnetic moment.)

2. Relevant equations
    Let the torque be ##\vec N##.

##d\vec N = \vec r\times d\vec F##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Useful identity: ##\oint \vec r\times d\vec l = 2\vec a##, where ##\vec a## is the area of the loop and points perpendicularly to its surface.

My question: the solution says that ##d\vec r = d\vec l##, which I don't understand. They are clearly pointing in different directions. ##d\vec r## points in the direction from the origin to the point ##r##, while ##d\vec l## points in the direction of the wire of the loop, which in general is different from the direction of ##d\vec r##.

The solution:
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 11.27.44 pm.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2015 #2
    It is ##\vec{r}## that points from the origin to the point r =(x,y,z) of the loop and ##\vec{r'}=\hat{i}(x+dx)+\hat{j}(y+dy)+\hat{k}(z+dz)## that points from the origin to the point r'=(x+dx,y+dy,z+dz) of the loop. Their difference is the ifinitesimal vector ##d\vec{r}=\hat{i}dx+\hat{j}dy+\hat{k}dz## which is the same as dl.

4. May 30, 2015 #3
    Thanks a lot! I've got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted