1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that this function is Riemann integrable

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    Let f:[a,b]->R be bounded. Further, let it be continuous on [a,b] except at points a1, a2, ...,an,... such that a1>a2>a3>...>an>...> a where an converges to a. Prove that f is Riemann integrable on [a,b].

It suffices to prove that f is integrable on [a,a1) (I've worked out that part). And that's what I'm having trouble with.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Are you dealing strictly with Riemann integration, or is this proof done in the context of Lebesgue integration?

One might start out by noting that:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = \int_{a_1}^{b} f(x)dx + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{k=2}^{n} \int_{a_{k-1}}^{a_{k}} f(x)dx [/tex]
  4. Jan 15, 2006 #3
    Riemann. And I had already figured out that part. What I'm having trouble with is that I must show the terms [tex]\int_{a_n}^{a_{n+1}}f \rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]n\rightarrow \infty[/tex]. Since the series is bounded, showing that the terms converge to 0 will imply the convergence of the series.
  5. Jan 15, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence, say a_n ?
  6. Jan 16, 2006 #5
    If I got by antiderivatives, that is F(a_n+1)-F(a_n), there's no way to garantee the continuity of F (where F' = f). However since F is bounded by M, the integral is bounded below and above by +/-M(a_n+1 - a_n) which squeezes the integral to zero by convergence of a_n.
  7. Jan 16, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you have an infinite sequence of points an[/b] that converge to a such that f is discontinuous at those points? You need more than that: you will also need that there is only a finite step discontinuity at those points.
  8. Jan 17, 2006 #7
    I found a flaw in my argument. If a series is bounded, and the terms converge to zero, it DOES NOT imply the convergence of the series. I'll have to try another approach.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?