1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove that V is a subspace of R4

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that V is a subspace of R4

Actual problem is attached

2. Relevant equations

- S contains a zero element
    - for any x in V and y in V, x + y is in V
    - for any x in V and scalar k, kx is in V

3. The attempt at a solution

Its obvious that V is a subset of R4. And I know I must prove that is it contains zero vector which is obvious. But how to I prove its closure, I can see that it is by looking but how exactly do I denote it?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If x and y are in V, that means that Ax=0 and Ay=0. Can you prove that A(x+y)=0? And can you prove that A(tx)=0 for every t a scalar? To prove that V is a subspace you need to prove that for every x,y in V, x+y and tx are also in V, which is precisely what the above shows

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    So do these using the 0 vector?

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where does the 0 vector come in here? You're supposed to be looking at x and y any vectors in V. So the only property you can use about them is that Ax and Ay are both 0

6. Apr 4, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your set V is all the vectors x in R4 such that Ax = 0. Clearly A0 = 0, but there are other vectors in V, and you need to check that addition is closed for these vectors and scalar multiplication is closed also.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook