1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the Langrangian is not unique

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Question:
    If L is a Lagrangian for a system of n degrees of freedom satisfying Lagrange's equations show by direct substitution that

http://qlx.is.quoracdn.net/main-74d090d14ee4fea0.png [Broken]

also satisfies Lagrange's equations where F is any arbitrary but differentiable function of its arguments.

Attempt at a solution:
    I'm not really sure how to solve this problem by direct substitution; I found a way to do it using the action integral but not direct substitution. Any clues or help on how to approach the problem?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use L' as the new lagrangian in Lagrange's equation.
    Does L' satisfy that equation? Under what condition?

4. May 8, 2015 #3
    I got that L' satisfies that equation when the derivative for Lagrange's equation of F is 0.

5. May 8, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should probably show your work.
    You can use the LaTeX button below to help you typeset your equations.

6. May 8, 2015 #5
    I don't know how to write LaTeX 11251701_10153310866401660_2140605752_n.jpg

7. May 9, 2015 #6

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Your question is wrong. The function [itex]F[/itex] can not depend on the velocity [itex]\dot{q}(t)[/itex]. If it does, then [itex]d F /d t[/itex] will depend (at least linearly) on the acceleration [itex]\ddot{q}(t)[/itex]. This in turns mean that the two Lagrangians are not equivalent to each other. So, try to solve the exercise for the function [itex]F(t) = F( q(t) , t )[/itex].

This is one part of well know theorem which states

A function [itex]\Lambda[/itex] of [itex]q(t)[/itex], [itex]\dot{q}(t)[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex] satisfies Lagrange’s equations identically (i.e., independent of the [itex]q_{a}(t)[/itex]) if, and only if, it is the total time derivative [itex]d F / dt[/itex] of some function [itex]F ( q(t) , t )[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted