1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem regarding to Lagrangian in Classical Mechanics

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem regarding to lagrangian.

If L is a Lagrangian for a system of n degrees of freedom satisfying Lagrange's equations, show by direct substitution that

[itex] L' = L + \frac{d F(q_1,...,q_n,t)}{d t}[/itex]

also satisfies Lagrange's equations where F is any ARBITRARY BUT DIFFERENTIABLE function of its arguments.

2. Relevant equations
    Lagrange's equations:
    [itex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{d t}\frac{\partial L}{\dot{\partial q_i}} =0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Equivalently we have to find
    [itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{d t}\frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{q_i}} =0[/itex]
    It is obvious that [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{q_i}}=0[/itex].
    But how can I get [itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0[/itex] ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, iiternal! :smile:

This looks like an exercise in multivariable differentiation.

Let's start with your relevant equation.
    You seem to have dropped a partial derivative there...

I'm afraid that since F is an arbitrary function of ##q_i##, you won't get ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0##.

I believe you have to substitute L' in Lagrange's equation and expand everything.
    This means expanding dF/dt into partial derivatives.
    Do you know how to do that?

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    Thank you very much! You are absolutely right!

let ## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}\dot{q_i}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}##;
    Substitute it into Lagrange's Equation
    ## \frac{\partial G}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial G}{\partial \dot{q_i}}
    = (\frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i^2}\dot{q} + \frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i\partial t}) - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} ##

I believe the last term can somehow cancel both the first two terms.
    When I tried to expand the last term, I faced another problem
    ## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \frac{\partial }{\partial q}\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} + ???##
    How can I take derivative of the denominator of a differentiation?

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Good! :)

I'm afraid you should not use the index i everywhere and keep the summations.

Your equations should read:
    ## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_j\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_j}\dot{q_j}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} ##

Substitute it into Lagrange's Equation
    ## \frac{\partial G}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial G}{\partial \dot{q_i}}
    = \sum\limits_j ... ##

And:
    ## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \sum\limits_j {\partial^2 F \over \partial q_j\partial q_i} \dot q_j + {\partial^2 F \over \partial t\partial q_i}##

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    Great !!!
    Thank you very much!
    Happy New Year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook