A problem regarding to Lagrangian in Classical Mechanics

In summary: Great !":[{"time>1423723801</time>In summary, Homework statement states that if L is a Lagrangian for a system of n degrees of freedom satisfying Lagrange's equations, then L' must also satisfy the equations. However, because F is an arbitrary function of its arguments, it is not possible to find \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0.
iiternal

Homework Statement

I have a problem regarding to lagrangian.

If L is a Lagrangian for a system of n degrees of freedom satisfying Lagrange's equations, show by direct substitution that

[itex] L' = L + \frac{d F(q_1,...,q_n,t)}{d t}[/itex]

also satisfies Lagrange's equations where F is any ARBITRARY BUT DIFFERENTIABLE function of its arguments.

Homework Equations

Lagrange's equations:
[itex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{d t}\frac{\partial L}{\dot{\partial q_i}} =0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Equivalently we have to find
[itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{d t}\frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{q_i}} =0[/itex]
It is obvious that [itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial \dot{q_i}}=0[/itex].
But how can I get [itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0[/itex] ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, iiternal! :smile:

This looks like an exercise in multivariable differentiation.

Let's start with your relevant equation.
You seem to have dropped a partial derivative there...

I'm afraid that since F is an arbitrary function of ##q_i##, you won't get ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0##.

I believe you have to substitute L' in Lagrange's equation and expand everything.
This means expanding dF/dt into partial derivatives.
Do you know how to do that?

Thank you very much! You are absolutely right!

let ## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}\dot{q_i}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}##;
Substitute it into Lagrange's Equation
## \frac{\partial G}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial G}{\partial \dot{q_i}}
= (\frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i^2}\dot{q} + \frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i\partial t}) - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} ##

I believe the last term can somehow cancel both the first two terms.
When I tried to expand the last term, I faced another problem
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \frac{\partial }{\partial q}\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} + ?##
How can I take derivative of the denominator of a differentiation?

I like Serena said:
Welcome to PF, iiternal! :smile:

This looks like an exercise in multivariable differentiation.

Let's start with your relevant equation.
You seem to have dropped a partial derivative there...

I'm afraid that since F is an arbitrary function of ##q_i##, you won't get ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}=0##.

I believe you have to substitute L' in Lagrange's equation and expand everything.
This means expanding dF/dt into partial derivatives.
Do you know how to do that?

iiternal said:
Thank you very much! You are absolutely right!

let ## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}\dot{q_i}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t}##;
## \frac{\partial G}{\partial q_i} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial G}{\partial \dot{q_i}}
= (\frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i^2}\dot{q} + \frac{\partial^2F}{\partial q_i\partial t}) - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} ##

I believe the last term can somehow cancel both the first two terms.
When I tried to expand the last term, I faced another problem
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \frac{\partial }{\partial q}\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} + ?##
How can I take derivative of the denominator of a differentiation?

Good! :)

I'm afraid you should not use the index i everywhere and keep the summations.

Your equations should read:
## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_j\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_j}\dot{q_j}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} ##

= \sum\limits_j ... ##

And:
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \sum\limits_j {\partial^2 F \over \partial q_j\partial q_i} \dot q_j + {\partial^2 F \over \partial t\partial q_i}##

Great !
Thank you very much!
Happy New Year.

I like Serena said:
Good! :)

I'm afraid you should not use the index i everywhere and keep the summations.

Your equations should read:
## G = \frac{dF}{dt} = \sum\limits_j\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_j}\dot{q_j}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial t} ##

= \sum\limits_j ... ##

And:
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i} = \sum\limits_j {\partial^2 F \over \partial q_j\partial q_i} \dot q_j + {\partial^2 F \over \partial t\partial q_i}##

1. What is the Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that summarizes the dynamics of a physical system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is used to derive the equations of motion.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different mathematical representations of a physical system. The Lagrangian is based on the system's energies, while the Hamiltonian is based on the system's momenta. They are related through a mathematical transformation known as the Legendre transformation.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is significant because it provides a powerful and elegant framework for describing the dynamics of physical systems. It allows us to derive the equations of motion for a system without having to explicitly consider all the forces acting on it, making it a very useful tool for solving complex problems.

4. How is the Lagrangian used in real-world applications?

The Lagrangian is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in the study of mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, and has also found applications in fields such as control theory and optimization.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used for systems with constraints?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used for systems with constraints. In fact, it is often the preferred method for analyzing such systems because it simplifies the equations of motion and allows for the easy incorporation of constraints into the mathematical framework.