Prove the Laplacian of Function g is equal to g

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
zr95
Messages
25
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


upload_2016-2-17_16-33-47.png


Homework Equations


the gradient of g is (d/dx,d/dy,d/dz)
the divergence of g is d/dx+d/dy+d/dz

The Attempt at a Solution


When I run through even using only a few terms to see if I can get the final result of it equaling g I end up with u^2 terms as coefficients and this seems to me as if it is no longer equal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
zr95 said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 96027

Homework Equations


the gradient of g is (d/dx,d/dy,d/dz)
the divergence of g is d/dx+d/dy+d/dz

The Attempt at a Solution


When I run through even using only a few terms to see if I can get the final result of it equaling g I end up with u^2 terms as coefficients and this seems to me as if it is no longer equal.
1) Can you show what you get as result?
2) What does it mean that u is a unit vector?
(3) In relevant equations, that should actually be partial derivatives.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Samy_A said:
1) Can you show what you get as result?
2) What does it mean that u is a unit vector?
1) u1u2...un*e^(u1x1+u2x2+...unxn)
2) u is a unit vector as in it can be any vector with a magnitude of 1
 
zr95 said:
1) u1u2...un*e^(u1x1+u2x2+...unxn)
How did you get that?
Let's start with the beginning: what is ## \displaystyle \frac {\partial g}{\partial x_1}##?
 
Samy_A said:
How did you get that?
Let's start with the beginning: what is ## \displaystyle \frac {\partial g}{\partial x_1}##
A partial derivative of g with respect to x. So we take the gradient and it becomes grad(g)=(u1e^(u1x1)+u2e^u2x2...) and so on. The thing I gave previously is after taking the divergence of the gradient.
 
Samy_A said:
How did you get that?
Let's start with the beginning: what is ## \displaystyle \frac {\partial g}{\partial x_1}##?
upload_2016-2-17_16-48-2.png

Its fine now. In case anyone else needs this for future reference.