1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a convex function on an open convex set satisfies some inequalities

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1

michael.wes

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f:\mathcal{O}\subset\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}, \mathcal{O}[/tex] is an open convex set. Assume that [tex]D^2f(x)[/tex] is positive semi-definite [tex]\forall x\in\mathcal{O}[/tex]. Such [tex]f[/tex] are said to be convex functions.

2. Relevant equations
    Prove that [tex]f((1-t)a+tb)\leq (1-t)f(a)+tf(b),a,b\in\mathcal{O},0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex] and interpret the result geometrically. (The interpretation is easy, it's the proof of the inequality I'm stuck with)

3. The attempt at a solution

In an earlier part of the question I proved that we have

[tex]f(x)\geq f(a) + \grad f(a)\cdot (x-a) \forall x,a\in\mathcal{O}[/tex]

I have tried to use the mean value theorem in R^n in an attempt to link this with that result and the gradient, but it doesn't help since you lose information in using the mean value theorem, and this isn't an existence result, so it makes me think that there is a direct approach. This is typically given as the definition of a convex function on the web, and not a theorem, so I couldn't find help elsewhere.

Any help appreciated!

Edit: I'm still completely stuck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

michael.wes

Gold Member

Any help before tomorrow would be appreciated :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook