1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a matrix is orthogonal.

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 10a of the attached paper.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If a matrix is orthogonal, its transpose is its inverse.

The inverse [itex]U^{-1}[/itex] is defined by Ʃ[itex]U^{-1}[/itex]ij Vj = uj

I don't know how to go about proving this. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

• cp3.pdf
      cp3.pdf
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no attached paper! Also your given definition of "inverse" can't be true because it makes no sense- you haven't said what Vj and uj are (and you must mean ui, not uj because you should be summing over j). If you are given a specific matrix, you need to answer three questions:
    1) What is its transpose?
    2) What is its inverse?
    3) Are they the same?

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    I attached the paper about a minute after I posted; I think it's there now. :-)

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4
    Also, the sum is from j=1 to n. So the ith element of the vector u is the sum of the elements of one row of the matrix U with the elements of the vector j.

6. Apr 29, 2012 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take the inner product of vi and vj using their expansion in terms of u's, and consider how your answer relates to matrix multiplication

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook