1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a nonempty finite subset of a group is a subgroup

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let a non empty finite subset H of a group G be closed under the binary operation * on G. Show that H is a subgroup of H.

2. Relevant Definitions

Group Properties:
    G1: a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c for all a,b,c in G
    G2: e*x=x*e=x for all x in G
    G2: if x is in G then x' is in G and x*x'=x'*x=e

A subset H of group G is a subgroup of G iff:
    S1: the identity element of G, e, is in H
    S2: the binary operation on G is closed on H
    S3: if x is in H, then x' is in H and x*x'=x'*x=e

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know

H != {}
    H is finite
    H is closed, so I get the second property of a subgroup for free.
    H is subset of the elements of G and inherits the operation.

If H only has one element, I only need to show that that element is the identity of G. I think I can do this pretty easy with the closure property.

If H has more then one element here is my strategy,

Assume x is in H and for every y in H x*y != e.
    This breaks associativity on G which is a contraction since G is a group.
    Therefore given x in H for some y in H x*y=e which means y is x's inverse and since it
    is in H and since H is closed e is there too.

The reason I think this is the way to go is because I drew tables for a couple of binary operations for a small set that was a group. Then I added some elements around it with a new pseudo-identity element over the larger wanna-be group. Associativity broke on the larger operation, which means it couldn't have been a group.

So it seems like I should be able to sketch a proof around this concept. Given H is closed and associative and assume it does not contain the identity of G. This breaks associativity of G which is a contradiction. But I am not really getting anywhere.

Is this approach even valid? I am starting to suspect not. I am pretty stuck. Could someone perhaps suggest another direction? I am not really taking advantage of the finite piece of information. Maybe there is something there?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose x is in H. Since H is closed under *, then x^n = x*x*...*x is in H for all n > 0.

But H is finite, so ...
  4. Oct 4, 2007 #3

Right, of course.

I think I have an outline of a proof that works.

H={x^n,for every n in Z}
    Assume there is a y in H where y != x^i. I can show this is a contradiction
    by knowing x*c=y has a solution in G, and c cannot be a power of x, or y is a power
    of x. But x^t*y is in H due to closure and for some t, x^t*y=e otherwise H is not
    finite. But then x^t*y = x^t*x*c = e.
    A contradiction, so c is a power of x, and y = x^i.

So now I know H is finite and has a generator x.
    So x^0=e
    And if |H|=n then x^i*x^(n-i)=e so there is an inverse for every element

H is a subgroup of G

I probably made that way harder than is had to be.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. Oct 5, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why should it follow that x^t*y=e?

H certainly doesn't have to be cyclic. The purpose of my hint above was to let you invoke the finiteness of H to see that not all the x^n's are distinct, i.e. there must be an s and a t with, say, s>t, such that x^s = x^t. From this, one can deduce that e is in H and that x is invertible. But since x was arbitrary, this means every element has an inverse in H, so it's a subgroup of G.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?