1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a number is irrational

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    I picked up a book by Stephen Abbott called "Understanding Analysis" and it begins talking about rational and irrational numbers then it goes on proving how √2 is irrational. The proof is easy to understand but I wanted to use the same exact proof on a number I knew was rational.

Let (p/q)2 be a rational number equal to 4 where p and q have no common factors and q ≠0.

(p/q)2 = 4 which implies p2 = 4*q2. From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and hence so is p. Let p = 4a where a is an integer.

16a2 = 4*q2 , 4a2 = q2 which implies q2 is a multiple of 4 and hence q is also.

Question:
    There for we now know the ratio p/q is not in lowest terms, it has a common factor of 4.

So how am i suppose to interpret this? This is the same exact proof that proved √2 is irrational by showing p and q have common factors. Well I just showed you that √4 = p/q where p and q have common factors but √4 = 2 is obviously rational.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    This is where you went wrong. While it is true that, for any integer [itex]p[/itex], [itex]2|p[/itex] whenever [itex]2|p^2[/itex], this is due to [itex]2[/itex] being prime. [itex]4[/itex] is not prime.

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    The ratio for the proof is always in lowest terms. To start with 2/4 instead of 1/2 is nonsensical.

As a caveat, I believe the proof in most books always states ##\text{gcd}(p,q) =1## or says they are relatively prime.

5. May 11, 2012 #4

jgens

Gold Member

You cannot conclude that p is a multiple of 4. You can only conclude that is a multiple of 2. This avoids the contradiction.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    Revised Solution:

(p/q)2 = 4 which implies p2 = 4*q2. From this we can see that p2 is a multiple of 4 and p a multiple of 2. Let p = 2a where a is an integer.

p2 = 4*q2 or 4a2 = 4*q2. From this equation we can see

Equation 1: (a^2 = q2.)

Is this correct?
    QUESTIONS: If we know p is a multiple of 2 and from equation 1 we see that a^2 = q2 where a is any integer, from this equation how can we conclude from eq 1 that q is equal to 1?

or is it the fact that p and q do not have common factors which tells us that the ratio p/q is reduced, assuming p =/= q and that alone implies that there is a rational number when squared that is equal to 4. Is that correct?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. May 11, 2012 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that p2=4q2 and p and q have no common factors means that the only thing that can divide p are multiples of 2. From there the fact that p and q have no common factors implies that p must be equal to 2 (otherwise q would have to be divisible by 2 as well)

You're trying to do a proof by contradiction and failing to find a contradiction (since there isn't one to be found), so you shouldn't expect to prove anything like this. You can get around to calculating what the square root of 4 is using what I typed above but it really relies on the fact that 22=4 to begin with, so I don't think there's any value in thinking about it too much. It's better to recognize that trying to prove by contradiction that 4 has no square root won't get you very far because it's not true that 4 has not square root (and figure out where the hole is in your calculation so you can throw it away with a peaceful mind) than to try to figure out how you can salvage the calculations you made and actually prove something

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook