Limit Definition of Derivative as n Approaches Infinity

Two things. You have a problem with the denominator and this isn't your...This isn't your own proof, is it? It's not a good idea to post someone else's solution and then ask "Can we make it so?" If you understand the solution, you should be able to answer that question yourself. And if you don't understand it, you should ask a more specific question.In summary, ##f'(x_0)## is defined as the limit of ##\frac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h}## or ##\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}## as ##h## or ##x## approaches zero. In order to
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Limit
Sequence Theorem
Derivative from first principle
1664335070591.png

##f'(x_0)## is defined as:
$$f'(x_0)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h}$$
or
$$f'(x_0)=\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}$$

I can imagine that as ##n \rightarrow \infty## the value of ##f(b_n)## and ##f(a_n)## will approach ##f(x_0)## so the value of the limit will be like tangent to graph ##f(x)## at point ##x_0##

But I don't know how to do it mathematically. The definition I know for derivative is the limit approaches 0 while the question is n approaches infinity. How to relate the question to the definition?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How about
[tex]b_n-a_n:=h_n[/tex]
[tex]h_n\rightarrow 0[/tex]

Likes songoku
anuttarasammyak said:
How about
I think I can solve the question using this hint.

Thank you very much anuttarasammyak

songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Limit
Sequence Theorem
Derivative from first principle

View attachment 314745

##f'(x_0)## is defined as:
$$f'(x_0)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h}$$
or
$$f'(x_0)=\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}$$

I can imagine that as ##n \rightarrow \infty## the value of ##f(b_n)## and ##f(a_n)## will approach ##f(x_0)## so the value of the limit will be like tangent to graph ##f(x)## at point ##x_0##

But I don't know how to do it mathematically. The definition I know for derivative is the limit approaches 0 while the question is n approaches infinity. How to relate the question to the definition?

Thanks
Use ##\epsilon-\delta## to relate the two?

PeroK said:
Use ##\epsilon-\delta## to relate the two?
Sorry I don't understand the hint.

I followed hint in post#2 and this is what I did:
Let ##h_n=b_n -a_n## and as ##n \rightarrow \infty, h_n \rightarrow 0##
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(b_n)-f(a_n)}{b_n-a_n}$$
$$=\lim_{h_n \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a_n+h_n)-f(a_n)}{h_n}$$

The expression is equal to ##f'(a_n)## and ##f'(a_n)## is equal to ##f'(x_0)##

By ##\epsilon-\delta##, do you mean using ##\epsilon-\delta## definition of limit?

Thanks

songoku said:
Sorry I don't understand the hint.

I followed hint in post#2 and this is what I did:
Let ##h_n=b_n -a_n## and as ##n \rightarrow \infty, h_n \rightarrow 0##
$$\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(b_n)-f(a_n)}{b_n-a_n}$$
$$=\lim_{h_n \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a_n+h_n)-f(a_n)}{h_n}$$

The expression is equal to ##f'(a_n)## and ##f'(a_n)## is equal to ##f'(x_0)##
That needs to be proved.
songoku said:
By ##\epsilon-\delta##, do you mean using ##\epsilon-\delta## definition of limit?

Thanks
Yes. What else could that mean?

PeroK said:
That needs to be proved.
You mean I have to prove ##f'(a_n)=f'(x_0)##?

PeroK said:
Yes. What else could that mean?
The definition is something that is not taught in class so maybe we are not expected to use that but I will try first and see what I can get from it

Thanks

songoku said:
You mean I have to prove ##f'(a_n)=f'(x_0)##?
That statement is clearly not true. You don't even know that for all ##n## ##f'(a_n)## exists.
songoku said:
The definition is something that is not taught in class so maybe we are not expected to use that but I will try first and see what I can get from it

Thanks
Then what definition of a limit are you using?

Likes songoku
anuttarasammyak said:
How about
I'm not convinced this helps. We only know the derivative exists at ##x_0##, which is a key point.

@songoku I think you need to expand the expression and pull out a constant term of ##f'(x_0)## and show that what's left converges to zero. There's quite a lot of algebra.

Likes songoku
If [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable at [itex]x_0[/itex] then for any [itex]h[/itex], [tex]
f(x_0 + h) = f(x_0) + hf'(x_0) + E(h)[/tex] where [tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{E(h)}{h} = 0.[/tex] If you set [itex]h_n = a_n - x_0[/itex] and [itex]k_n = b_n - x_0[/itex] then the algebra is easier, although I did have to resort to proof by cases depending on whether [itex]|h_n/k_n|[/itex] remains bounded as [itex]n \to \infty[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes songoku
PeroK said:
I'm not convinced this helps. We only know the derivative exists at x0, which is a key point.
Let us see it.
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(a_n+h_n)-f(a_n)}{h_n}[/tex]
If we make it
[tex]=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x_0+h_n)-f(x_0)}{h_n}[/tex]
It works. Can we make it so ?

anuttarasammyak said:
Let us see it.
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(a_n+h_n)-f(a_n)}{h_n}[/tex]
If we make it
[tex]=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(x_0+h_n)-f(x_0)}{h_n}[/tex]
It works. Can we make it so ?
Okay, but you still have to justify that step.

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(b_n)-f(a_n)}{b_n-a_n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{[f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)]+[f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)]}{\beta_n+\alpha_n}[/tex]
where
[tex]\beta_n=b_n-x_0[/tex]
[tex]\alpha_n=x_0-a_n[/tex], decomposing ##h_n## before. We know
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)}{\beta_n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)}{\alpha_n}=f'(x_0)[/tex]

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(b_n)-f(a_n)}{b_n-a_n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{[f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)]+[f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)]}{\beta_n+\alpha_n}[/tex]
where
[tex]\beta_n=b_n-x_0[/tex]
[tex]\alpha_n=x_0-a_n[/tex], decomposing ##h_n## before. We know
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)}{\beta_n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)}{\alpha_n}=f'(x_0)[/tex]
Two things. You have a problem with the denominator and this isn't your homework.

To give a big hint. The first step here is to rewrite the expression as:
$$\frac{f(b_n) - f(a_n)}{b_n - a_n} = \frac{f(b_n) - f(x_0)}{b_n - a_n} + \frac{f(x_0) - f(a_n)}{b_n - a_n}$$$$ = \frac{f(b_n) - f(x_0)}{b_n - x_0}\bigg [\frac{b_n - x_0}{b_n - a_n} \bigg ] + \frac{f(x_0) - f(a_n)}{x_0 - a_n} \bigg [\frac{x_0 - a_n}{b_n - a_n} \bigg ]$$And then to introduce the quantity ##f'(x_0)## ...

Likes songoku and FactChecker
PeroK said:
Two things. You have a problem with the denominator and this isn't your homework.
Though this is not my homework let me investigate the problem you find. With ## \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} ##, may we equate the fractions as
[tex]\frac{f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)}{\beta_n}=\frac{f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)}{\alpha_n}=\frac{[f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)]+[f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)]}{\beta_n+\alpha_n}[/tex]?[EDIT] For any n, may we say
[tex]\min \{\frac{f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)}{\beta_n},\frac{f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)}{\alpha_n}\}[/tex]
[tex]\leq\frac{[f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)]+[f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)]}{\beta_n+\alpha_n}\leq[/tex]
[tex]\max \{\frac{f(\beta_n+x_0)-f(x_0)}{\beta_n},\frac{f(x_0)-f(x_0-\alpha_n)}{\alpha_n}\}[/tex]?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
That statement is clearly not true. You don't even know that for all ##n## ##f'(a_n)## exists.
Ah yes, I see.
PeroK said:
Then what definition of a limit are you using?
I am not sure. The teacher said: "If we want to prove limit as x approaches 5 of (x + 1) is 6, then we need to use precise definition of limit but I won't cover that"

So maybe I am not using any definition of limit right now, I am not really sure.

PeroK said:
$$\frac{f(b_n) - f(a_n)}{b_n - a_n} = \frac{f(b_n) - f(x_0)}{b_n - a_n} + \frac{f(x_0) - f(a_n)}{b_n - a_n}$$$$ = \frac{f(b_n) - f(x_0)}{b_n - x_0}\bigg [\frac{b_n - x_0}{b_n - a_n} \bigg ] + \frac{f(x_0) - f(a_n)}{x_0 - a_n} \bigg [\frac{x_0 - a_n}{b_n - a_n} \bigg ]$$And then to introduce the quantity ##f'(x_0)## ...
I understand this hint

PeroK said:
As in my post #2 you leave ##b_n-a_n## in the formula. Now I think it was not a good strategy because of independent convergence of ##a_n \rightarrow x_0 ## and ##b_n \rightarrow x_0 ##.
The first term of RHS in the limit is
[tex]f'(x)\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{x_0-a_n}{b_n-x_0})^{-1}[/tex]
The second term of RHS in the limit is
[tex]f'(x)\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{b_n-x_0}{x_0-a_n})^{-1}=f'(x)(1-\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{x_0-a_n}{b_n-x_0})^{-1})[/tex]
They cancel to bring f'(x) but I wonder according to independent convergence of ##a_n \rightarrow x_0 ## and ##b_n \rightarrow x_0 ##, though we know that the value for any n is between 0 and 1 anyway, I am not sure there exist the limit value for infinite n. Does the cancellation work even when there exist the no limit value ? I prefer a discussion without comparing the convergences of ##a_n## and ##b_n## .

[EDIT] Now I understand even if there exists no limit, as it is bounded between 0 and 1, we can get the result. Thanks for teachings guys.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]f'(x)\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{x_0-a_n}{b_n-x_0})^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1+\frac{b_n-x_0}{x_0-a_n})^{-1}[/tex]
That was not my idea.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thank you very much anuttarasammyak, PeroK, pasmith

1. What is the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity?

The limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity is the mathematical expression used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is represented by the limit of the average rate of change as the interval between two points on the function approaches zero.

2. How is the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity used?

The limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity is used to find the exact slope of a curve at a specific point, which is known as the instantaneous rate of change. This is important in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering, where precise calculations are necessary.

3. What is the significance of using n approaches infinity in the limit definition of derivative?

The use of n approaching infinity in the limit definition of derivative allows for a more accurate calculation of the instantaneous rate of change. As n gets larger and larger, the interval between two points on the function approaches zero, resulting in a more precise calculation of the slope at a specific point.

4. Can the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity be applied to any function?

Yes, the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity can be applied to any function, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable at the point of interest. This means that the function must have a well-defined slope at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity?

One limitation of using the limit definition of derivative as n approaches infinity is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for more complex functions. In these cases, other methods, such as the power rule or product rule, may be more efficient in finding the derivative.