Proving an Inequality by Induction

In summary, the process of induction involves proving a condition to be true for every element in a given set by showing that if it is true for one element, it is true for all elements. This is done by assuming it is true for one element and then showing it is also true for the next element. This process is similar to a child learning to climb a ladder - they must first learn how to get on the first rung and then how to climb from one rung to the next. This is why in induction, we assume the condition is true for one element and then show it is also true for the next element.
student34

Homework Statement

Question: Use induction to prove that 3^n > n x 2^n for every natural number n ≥ 3

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer:

Step 1: 3^3 > 3 x 2^3 ⇒ 27 > 24

Step 2: Assume 3^k > k x 2^k

Step 3: 3^(k+1) > (k+1) x 2^(k+1) ⇒ 3 x 3^k > k x 2^(k+1) + 2^(k+1) ⇒

3^k + 3^k + 3^k > k x 2^k + k x 2^k + 2^k + 2^k.

So am I allowed to use the assumption as a given to make the green and red parts of the inequality true?

And am allowed to just plug in the base k value that would show the black parts of the inequality to be true?

Another thing that I don't understand about induction is why we have to assume that the inequality in the question is true for k. If k can only be the base case in the beginning, then why do we have to assume that it works for some k when we just showed that it works when k is the base case?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to start by explaining what exactly induction is. Induction is the process of proving a condition to be true for every element in a given set by showing that if it's true for one, it's true for all. To answer your question "So am I allowed to use the assumption as a given to make the green and red parts of the inequality true?" Absolutely, this is the idea behind induction. In your example, you're attempting show that if it's true for k, it must be true for k+1. Therefore, you assume it must be true for k and then show it to be true for k+1. After this, you test it on k = 3, Since it holds true for k = 3, you know it must for k = 4 and so on.

And am allowed to just plug in the base k value that would show the black parts of the inequality to be true?

You mean k = 3? No. As I said above, you must show it to be true for all k + 1 where it is true for k.

Another thing that I don't understand about induction is why we have to assume that the inequality in the question is true for k. If k can only be the base case in the beginning, then why do we have to assume that it works for some k when we just showed that it works when k is the base case?

As I said above, you must do this to show it is true for all natural number.

In short, you have a condition C that you want to test on all in S = {3, 4, 5, 6...}

So you first show that C(k) is true implies C(k+1) is true for k in S

Second show C(3) is true making C(4) true making C(5) true making C(6) true etc (Because we've already established the above relation).

Hope it helps. It's probably pretty confusing.

student34 said:

I will try to answer this with a non-mathematical analogy. Suppose you have a child who is just learning to walk. Your building has a fire escape ladder on the side of the building that goes to the roof and whose first rung is 3 feet off the ground. You don't want your child climbing that ladder. What two things must your child master to climb the ladder?

1. He has to solve the problem of getting on the first rung, perhaps by climbing up on a chair or box.

2. He has to know how to get from one rung to the next.

That's the idea behind induction. The case ##n=1## corresponds to getting on the first rung. Now if the child has mastered the mechanics of climbing from one rung to the next, he can climb the ladder. That corresponds to assuming your proposition is true for ##n=k## and showing it is therefore true for ##n=k+1##. You know if the child is on any rung, he can get to the next. You know if your proposition is true for ##n=k## then it is true for ##n=k+1##. That's all it takes.

Likes 1 person
Hyrum said:
I'm going to start by explaining what exactly induction is. Induction is the process of proving a condition to be true for every element in a given set by showing that if it's true for one, it's true for all. To answer your question "So am I allowed to use the assumption as a given to make the green and red parts of the inequality true?" Absolutely, this is the idea behind induction. In your example, you're attempting show that if it's true for k, it must be true for k+1. Therefore, you assume it must be true for k and then show it to be true for k+1. After this, you test it on k = 3, Since it holds true for k = 3, you know it must for k = 4 and so on.

As I said above, you must do this to show it is true for all natural number.

In short, you have a condition C that you want to test on all in S = {3, 4, 5, 6...}

So you first show that C(k) is true implies C(k+1) is true for k in S

Second show C(3) is true making C(4) true making C(5) true making C(6) true etc (Because we've already established the above relation).

Hope it helps. It's probably pretty confusing.

Yeah, that totally helps - thanks!

LCKurtz said:
I will try to answer this with a non-mathematical analogy. Suppose you have a child who is just learning to walk. Your building has a fire escape ladder on the side of the building that goes to the roof and whose first rung is 3 feet off the ground. You don't want your child climbing that ladder. What two things must your child master to climb the ladder?

1. He has to solve the problem of getting on the first rung, perhaps by climbing up on a chair or box.

2. He has to know how to get from one rung to the next.

That's the idea behind induction. The case ##n=1## corresponds to getting on the first rung. Now if the child has mastered the mechanics of climbing from one rung to the next, he can climb the ladder. That corresponds to assuming your proposition is true for ##n=k## and showing it is therefore true for ##n=k+1##. You know if the child is on any rung, he can get to the next. You know if your proposition is true for ##n=k## then it is true for ##n=k+1##. That's all it takes.
Thank-you, it all clicked, finally :)

1. What is the basic concept behind proving an inequality by induction?

The concept behind proving an inequality by induction is to show that the inequality holds for a base case and then to use mathematical induction to prove that it also holds for all subsequent cases.

2. How is mathematical induction used to prove an inequality?

Mathematical induction is used by first proving that the inequality holds for a base case, typically the smallest value of the variable involved. Then, it is assumed to be true for some arbitrary but fixed value of the variable, and the goal is to prove that it also holds for the next value of the variable. This process is repeated until the desired inequality is proven for all values of the variable.

3. What does it mean for an inequality to be proven by induction?

If an inequality is proven by induction, it means that it has been shown to be true for all values of the variable in question. This is a strong form of proof, as it covers all possible cases and provides a solid basis for the validity of the inequality.

4. Can any inequality be proven by induction?

No, not all inequalities can be proven by induction. In order for an inequality to be proven using this method, it must have a base case that can be proven to be true and a way to show that the inequality holds for the next value of the variable. Some inequalities may require different methods of proof.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality by induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality by induction include assuming that the inequality holds for all values of the variable without properly proving it, skipping steps in the induction process, and using incorrect or inconsistent notation. It is important to carefully follow the steps of induction and provide clear and logical reasoning in order to avoid mistakes and ensure a valid proof.