Proving an inequality, Real Analysis

In summary, we want to prove that the sum of 1/sqrt(i) from i=1 to n is greater than sqrt(n) for n>1. We can prove this using induction, considering the base case n=2 and showing that for n+1, the sum is greater than sqrt(n+1). Another approach is to use the AM-HM inequality to show that the sum is greater than or equal to sqrt(n), with equality only occurring for n=1.
moo5003

Homework Equations

Prove the following for n > 1, n is a natural number.

Sum (from i=1 to n) of:
1/sqrt(i)

is > then

sqrt(n)

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I have spent 2+ hours on this with little results. I have tried induction on n, I tried showing one increases more every step then the other ie:

A_n = Sum (from i=1 to n) of:
1/sqrt(i)

B_n = sqrt(n)

That A_(n+1) / A_n > B_(n+1) / B_n

I have tried squaring both sides and simplifying the expression. I just cannot seem to make any progress on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Product or sum? If it's the product of 1/sqrt(i) then each time n increases, the product decreases (and is always less than 1)

I'm sorry it should be a sum, I'll edit the original post.

Anyone have a hint to even start he problem? I'm a bit stumped.

Can you think of the sum as a Riemann sum that is greater than an easy integral?

If anyone cares I ended up doing this by induction.

n=2 trivial to check

A_n = Sum (from i=1 to n): 1/sqrt(i)

A_(n+1) = A_n + 1/sqrt(n+1)

Must show: A_(n+1) > sqrt(n+1) = sqrt(n) + sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n)

by our induction hypothesis this is if and only if:

1/sqrt(n+1) > sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n)

iff

1 > n + 1 - sqrt(n^2 + n)

Note: sqrt(n^2 + n) > n thus our above inequality holds proving

A_(n+1) > sqrt(n+1)

If you are familiar with the AM-HM inequality, then you could do this:

[tex]\frac{\sum^{n}_{i=1} \sqrt{i}}{n} \ge \frac{n}{\sum^{n}_{i=1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}}}[/tex]

So

[tex]\sum^{n}_{i = 1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{i}} \ge \frac{n^2}{\sum^{n}_{i=1} \sqrt{i}} \ge \frac{n^2}{\sum^{n}_{i=1} \sqrt{n}} = \frac{n^2}{n \sqrt{n}} = \sqrt{n} [/tex]

Equality occurs iff each of the square-roots in the original sum is equal, which is only the case for n = 1. In all other cases, the inequality is strict.

1. What is the process for proving an inequality in Real Analysis?

The process for proving an inequality in Real Analysis typically involves using mathematical techniques such as induction, contradiction, or direct proof. It may also involve using known theorems and properties of mathematical functions to manipulate the inequality into a more manageable form.

2. How do I know if my proof of an inequality is correct?

In order for a proof to be considered correct in Real Analysis, it must follow the rules of logic and be supported by rigorous mathematical reasoning. This includes clearly stating all assumptions and steps taken, as well as providing evidence and justifications for each step.

3. Can I use numerical examples to prove an inequality in Real Analysis?

While numerical examples can be helpful in understanding and visualizing an inequality, they cannot be used as a substitute for a formal proof in Real Analysis. A proof must use mathematical reasoning and logic to show that the inequality holds for all possible values, not just a few specific examples.

4. Is it possible to prove an inequality without using known theorems or properties?

Yes, it is possible to prove an inequality using purely logical arguments and mathematical techniques. However, utilizing known theorems and properties can often make the proof simpler and more elegant.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of proving inequalities in Real Analysis to real-world problems?

The ability to prove inequalities is a fundamental skill in mathematics and can be applied to various real-world problems, such as optimizing resources, analyzing data, and understanding patterns and relationships. Mastering this skill can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.