Proving cauchy criterion for limits

In summary, in order to prove the converse of the Cauchy Criterion for Limits, we must show that if a function f has a limit at a point c, then for all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)|<ε for all x,y in {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}. This can be proven by using the definition of limit and manipulating the expression |f(x)-f(y)+f(y)-L| to show that |f(y)-f(x)| < ε.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Prove the converse of the Cauchy Criterion for Limits.

Let I be an interval that either contains the point c or has c as one of its endpoints and suppose that f is a function that is defined on I except possibly at the point c. Then the function f has limit at c iff for all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)|<ε for all x,y in {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Already proven is:

If for all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)|<ε for all x,y in {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}, then f has limit at c.

I want to show:

If f has limit at c, then or all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)|<ε for all x,y in {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}

Suppose the limit of f as x tends to c is L.

Since f has limit at c, then or all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(x)-L|<ε for all x,y in I that satisfy |x-c|<δ

Then |f(x)-f(y)+f(y)-L|≤|f(y)-f(x)|+|f(y)+L|

Since f has limit as c, let S = {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}

Choose x,y from S

Then |f(y)-f(x)|+|f(y)+L| < |f(y)-f(x)| + ε

This is where I am stuck. I want to show that |f(y)-f(x)| < ε.

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:
I want to show:

If f has limit at c, then or all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(y)-f(x)|<ε for all x,y in {t in I| 0 < |t-c| < δ}

Suppose the limit of f as x tends to c is L.

Since f has limit at c, then or all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that |f(x)-L|<ε for all x,y in I that satisfy |x-c|<δ

Then |f(x)-f(y)+f(y)-L|≤|f(y)-f(x)|+|f(y)+L|
This is true but not the inequality you want. Try [itex]|f(y) - f(x)| = |f(y) - L + L - f(x)| \leq |f(y) - L| + |f(x) - L| \ldots[/itex]

What is the Cauchy criterion for limits?

The Cauchy criterion for limits is a mathematical concept that states that a sequence converges if and only if it is a Cauchy sequence. In other words, the limit of a sequence is equal to its terms getting closer and closer together as the sequence progresses.

Why is the Cauchy criterion important?

The Cauchy criterion is important because it provides a rigorous method for determining the convergence of a sequence. It allows us to prove the existence of a limit for a sequence and to determine the behavior of the sequence as it approaches the limit.

How is the Cauchy criterion used to prove the existence of a limit?

The Cauchy criterion is used to prove the existence of a limit by showing that the terms of the sequence become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This implies that the sequence is converging towards a specific limit.

What are the key components of the Cauchy criterion?

The key components of the Cauchy criterion are the sequence itself, the concept of closeness or "epsilon", and the concept of a Cauchy sequence. In order for a sequence to satisfy the Cauchy criterion, its terms must get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses, and the distance between terms must eventually become smaller than any chosen "epsilon" value.

Can the Cauchy criterion be used to prove the divergence of a sequence?

Yes, the Cauchy criterion can also be used to prove the divergence of a sequence. If a sequence does not satisfy the Cauchy criterion, it is not a Cauchy sequence and therefore does not have a limit. This implies that the sequence diverges.