1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving complex with hyperbolic

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    i have a problem in my engineering maths which says as follows:

show that if z is a complex number then

2 cos (x) = z + 1 / z

and 2 j sin (x) = z - 1/z

given that cosh (jy) = cos (y) and sinh (jy) = j sin(y)

I can solve the problem without using the hyperbolics but that last statment induces that hyperbolics should be involved.

does anyone know how to use the hyperbolics to solve this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, when asking for help on a problem like this, it would be a really good idea to specify that z= x+ iy!

Use the fact that cosh(t)= [itex](e^t+ e^{-t})/2[/itex] and sinh(t)= [itex]e^t- e^{-t}[/itex]. Those, together with [itex]e^{jy}= cos(y)+ j sin(y)[/itex] should do it.

(I can't tell you how much it hurt to write "j" instead of "i". I just cringe at jmaginary numbers!)
  4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    thanks hallsofivy. i now understood the question.

(i am sorry to inflict you pain with j but we engineers are not allowed to call it i)
  5. Dec 10, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Union regulation?
  6. Dec 10, 2007 #5
    No.. just for not creating any fights between currents and complex.....which can turn in a very dangerous situation
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?