Proving convergent for the products of two series.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Disowned
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergent Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 12K views
Disowned
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm been trying to wrap my head around this one for a couple of days. I have a problem that states the following.
(All sums go from n to [tex]\infty[/tex]" Suppose we know that [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex] B n are both convergent series each with positive terms.
Show that the series [tex]\sum[/tex]An Bn must be convergent. I thought that if I took the first three terms of the series and multiply them together I could argue that since the terms alone are convergent then the product must be as well. However I'm not sure of that is the correct way to go about it.

Maybe I should take the derivative of each product and then make that argument. Anyone

The Attempt at a Solution



Here's what I wrote down while trying to solve this problem.

f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]An
g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn

Known:

[tex]\sum[/tex]An for all values
[tex]\sum[/tex]Bn for all values

f(0) + f(1) + f(2) = A0 + A1 + A2
g(0) + g(1) + g(2) = B0 + B1 + B2

f(x) * g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn

= A0 + A1 + A2(B0 + B1 + B2
)

[From here I foil the expression, which is a nightmare type unless you type at 120 wpm. So I'm going to skip that part.]

Since all values of [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn convergent it follows that [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn
is convergent as well.Since I know that's not going to fly given there isn't all real proof shown, what else could I do? Do I take a derivative as mentioned or can I express the two sums in their elementary state?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Disowned said:

Homework Statement



I'm been trying to wrap my head around this one for a couple of days. I have a problem that states the following.
(All sums go from n to [tex]\infty[/tex]" Suppose we know that [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex] B n are both convergent series each with positive terms.
Show that the series [tex]\sum[/tex]An Bn must be convergent. I thought that if I took the first three terms of the series and multiply them together I could argue that since the terms alone are convergent then the product must be as well. However I'm not sure of that is the correct way to go about it.

Maybe I should take the derivative of each product and then make that argument. Anyone



The Attempt at a Solution



Here's what I wrote down while trying to solve this problem.

f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]An
g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn

Known:

[tex]\sum[/tex]An for all values
[tex]\sum[/tex]Bn for all values

f(0) + f(1) + f(2) = A0 + A1 + A2
g(0) + g(1) + g(2) = B0 + B1 + B2

f(x) * g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn

= A0 + A1 + A2(B0 + B1 + B2
)

[From here I foil the expression, which is a nightmare type unless you type at 120 wpm. So I'm going to skip that part.]

Since all values of [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn convergent it follows that [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn
is convergent as well.


Since I know that's not going to fly given there isn't all real proof shown, what else could I do? Do I take a derivative as mentioned or can I express the two sums in their elementary state?
But [itex](A_1+ A_2+ A_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)(B_1+ B_2+ B_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
is not at all [itex]\sum A_nB_n[/itex]. That would be simply [itex]A_1B_1+ A_2B_2+ A_3B_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

And you last paragraph seems to be just asserting that "Since the two sums are separately convergent, the product is"- which is exactly what you are supposed to prove!
What do you mean by "all values"?
 
That's the point I was trying to make. I didn't think I answered the question at all. By all values I meant for every value of the sum.

So now I know that wasn't the right solution, where do I go from here?
 
You should use an apparent inequality here. You're already told that An and Bn are always positive. What is the expression for f(x)*g(x)? Write it out using double summation symbols and take note that each term for AkBr is always positive.
 
This is a LOT easier than than you think it is. If An is convergent, then the sequence An->0. So for some N, An<1 for n>N. Doesn't that suggest you use a comparison test with the sum of the Bn?
 
Dick said:
This is a LOT easier than than you think it is. If An is convergent, then the sequence An->0. So for some N, An<1 for n>N. Doesn't that suggest you use a comparison test with the sum of the Bn?

Thanks for the tip. Based on what you said I think I got a handle on the problem.

This is what I wrote:

Given:
[tex]\sum[/tex]An converges and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn converges
An is positive, Bn is positive.

Additional Info
If [tex]\sum[/tex]An converges then the sequence An [tex]\stackrel{}{\rightarrow}[/tex]0, for some N.

If this is true n > N.

Comparison Test Theorem.
If [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn converges and An [tex]\leq[/tex]Bn for all n, then [tex]\sum[/tex]An converges also.

By definition one could infer that because An [tex]\leq[/tex]Bn and An < 1 for some N then that must mean that Bn <1 for some N as well. Thus AnBnn < 1. Thus we have [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn is convergent by comparison.

That should be correct.
 
That's a little garbled. If N is such that An<1 for n>N, then [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty A_n B_n<\sum_{n=N}^\infty B_n[/itex]. That's the essential fact. It works because i) An->0 and ii) you can discard any finite number of terms in a comparison test (since the sum of the terms you've discarded is finite).
 
Ah, I didn't think of that. So, in a sense, I'm really just using the squeeze theorem to prove convergence then? Where convergence is proven due to AnBn < Bn but > An?

To clarify:

[ -1 <= An < AnBn < Bn < 1]?
 
Disowned said:
Ah, I didn't think of that. So, in a sense, I'm really just using the squeeze theorem to prove convergence then? Where convergence is proven due to AnBn < Bn but > An?

To clarify:

[ -1 <= An < AnBn < Bn < 1]?

Everything is positive so the lower bound is zero. All you need is 0<An*Bn<Bn. That's enough of a squeeze to show An*Bn converges.