Proving convergent for the products of two series.

In summary, it is proven that if \sumAn and \sum Bn are both convergent series with positive terms, then the series \sumAnBn must also be convergent. This can be proved using the comparison test and the fact that An and Bn are both positive, which results in the squeeze 0<An*Bn<Bn, showing that AnBn is also convergent.
Disowned

Homework Statement

I'm been trying to wrap my head around this one for a couple of days. I have a problem that states the following.
(All sums go from n to [tex]\infty[/tex]" Suppose we know that [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex] B n are both convergent series each with positive terms.
Show that the series [tex]\sum[/tex]An Bn must be convergent. I thought that if I took the first three terms of the series and multiply them together I could argue that since the terms alone are convergent then the product must be as well. However I'm not sure of that is the correct way to go about it.

Maybe I should take the derivative of each product and then make that argument. Anyone

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I wrote down while trying to solve this problem.

f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]An
g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn

Known:

[tex]\sum[/tex]An for all values
[tex]\sum[/tex]Bn for all values

f(0) + f(1) + f(2) = A0 + A1 + A2
g(0) + g(1) + g(2) = B0 + B1 + B2

f(x) * g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn

= A0 + A1 + A2(B0 + B1 + B2
)

[From here I foil the expression, which is a nightmare type unless you type at 120 wpm. So I'm going to skip that part.]

Since all values of [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn convergent it follows that [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn
is convergent as well.Since I know that's not going to fly given there isn't all real proof shown, what else could I do? Do I take a derivative as mentioned or can I express the two sums in their elementary state?

Physics news on Phys.org
Disowned said:

Homework Statement

I'm been trying to wrap my head around this one for a couple of days. I have a problem that states the following.
(All sums go from n to [tex]\infty[/tex]" Suppose we know that [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex] B n are both convergent series each with positive terms.
Show that the series [tex]\sum[/tex]An Bn must be convergent. I thought that if I took the first three terms of the series and multiply them together I could argue that since the terms alone are convergent then the product must be as well. However I'm not sure of that is the correct way to go about it.

Maybe I should take the derivative of each product and then make that argument. Anyone

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I wrote down while trying to solve this problem.

f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]An
g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn

Known:

[tex]\sum[/tex]An for all values
[tex]\sum[/tex]Bn for all values

f(0) + f(1) + f(2) = A0 + A1 + A2
g(0) + g(1) + g(2) = B0 + B1 + B2

f(x) * g(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn

= A0 + A1 + A2(B0 + B1 + B2
)

[From here I foil the expression, which is a nightmare type unless you type at 120 wpm. So I'm going to skip that part.]

Since all values of [tex]\sum[/tex]An and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn convergent it follows that [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn
is convergent as well.

Since I know that's not going to fly given there isn't all real proof shown, what else could I do? Do I take a derivative as mentioned or can I express the two sums in their elementary state?
But [itex](A_1+ A_2+ A_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot)(B_1+ B_2+ B_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
is not at all [itex]\sum A_nB_n[/itex]. That would be simply [itex]A_1B_1+ A_2B_2+ A_3B_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

And you last paragraph seems to be just asserting that "Since the two sums are separately convergent, the product is"- which is exactly what you are supposed to prove!
What do you mean by "all values"?

That's the point I was trying to make. I didn't think I answered the question at all. By all values I meant for every value of the sum.

So now I know that wasn't the right solution, where do I go from here?

You should use an apparent inequality here. You're already told that An and Bn are always positive. What is the expression for f(x)*g(x)? Write it out using double summation symbols and take note that each term for AkBr is always positive.

This is a LOT easier than than you think it is. If An is convergent, then the sequence An->0. So for some N, An<1 for n>N. Doesn't that suggest you use a comparison test with the sum of the Bn?

Dick said:
This is a LOT easier than than you think it is. If An is convergent, then the sequence An->0. So for some N, An<1 for n>N. Doesn't that suggest you use a comparison test with the sum of the Bn?

Thanks for the tip. Based on what you said I think I got a handle on the problem.

This is what I wrote:

Given:
[tex]\sum[/tex]An converges and [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn converges
An is positive, Bn is positive.

Additional Info
If [tex]\sum[/tex]An converges then the sequence An [tex]\stackrel{}{\rightarrow}[/tex]0, for some N.

If this is true n > N.

Comparison Test Theorem.
If [tex]\sum[/tex]Bn converges and An [tex]\leq[/tex]Bn for all n, then [tex]\sum[/tex]An converges also.

By definition one could infer that because An [tex]\leq[/tex]Bn and An < 1 for some N then that must mean that Bn <1 for some N as well. Thus AnBnn < 1. Thus we have [tex]\sum[/tex]AnBn is convergent by comparison.

That should be correct.

That's a little garbled. If N is such that An<1 for n>N, then [itex]\sum_{n=N}^\infty A_n B_n<\sum_{n=N}^\infty B_n[/itex]. That's the essential fact. It works because i) An->0 and ii) you can discard any finite number of terms in a comparison test (since the sum of the terms you've discarded is finite).

Ah, I didn't think of that. So, in a sense, I'm really just using the squeeze theorem to prove convergence then? Where convergence is proven due to AnBn < Bn but > An?

To clarify:

[ -1 <= An < AnBn < Bn < 1]?

Disowned said:
Ah, I didn't think of that. So, in a sense, I'm really just using the squeeze theorem to prove convergence then? Where convergence is proven due to AnBn < Bn but > An?

To clarify:

[ -1 <= An < AnBn < Bn < 1]?

Everything is positive so the lower bound is zero. All you need is 0<An*Bn<Bn. That's enough of a squeeze to show An*Bn converges.

I see, thanks for your help.

1. What does it mean for two series to be convergent?

Convergent series are those whose terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. This means that as you add more terms to the series, the sum of the terms gets closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How can I prove that the product of two series is convergent?

To prove that the product of two series is convergent, you can use the Cauchy product rule. This rule states that if two series are absolutely convergent, then their product is also absolutely convergent. You can also use the comparison test or the ratio test to determine if the product of two series is convergent.

3. Are there any special cases where the product of two series is always convergent?

Yes, if one of the series is absolutely convergent and the other series is convergent, then their product will always be convergent. This is known as the Cauchy product theorem.

4. Can the product of two divergent series be convergent?

No, the product of two divergent series cannot be convergent. This is because if one of the series is divergent, then the product will also be divergent, regardless of the convergence of the other series.

5. How can I use the alternating series test to prove convergence for the product of two series?

The alternating series test can only be used to prove the convergence of alternating series, where the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. It cannot be used to prove convergence for the product of two series.