Computing the derivative of an exponential function

In summary: Just leaving a message so you know that I have not forgotten about this thread.Sorry completely forgot about this thread. I will come back here. Just leaving a message so you know that I have not forgotten about this thread.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to understand why as h approach's zero ##\frac{b^h - 1}{h} = f'(0)##. Dose anybody please know of a good way to explain this? Many thanks!
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
1679455741025.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the definition of the derivative of ##f(x) = b^x## at ##x=0##. Notice that they do not say there that the limit and the derivative exist. In fact, the last sentence says "if the exponential function ##f(x) = b^x## is differentiable" (emphasis mine). So there is still something to prove.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
That is the definition of the derivative of ##f(x) = b^x## at ##x=0##. Notice that they do not say there that the limit and the derivative exist. In fact, the last sentence says "if the exponential function ##f(x) = b^x## is differentiable" (emphasis mine). So there is still something to prove.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker !

How dose ##\lim_{x \rightarrow h} {\frac {b^h - 1} {h}} = f'(0)##?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
How dose ##\lim_{x \rightarrow h} {\frac {b^h - 1} {h}} = f'(0)##?
You have formula wrong. I think that ##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} {\frac {f( x+h) - f(x)}{h}} = f'(x)## is a common definition of the derivative. Is that your definition of the derivative? Now plug in ##x=0##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: I am trying to understand why as h approach's zero ##\frac{b^h - 1}{h} = f'(0)##. Dose anybody please know of a good way to explain this? Many thanks!
Relevant Equations:: Pls see below

1679455741025-png.png

First: The word is "Please", not Pls .

Also, you've been misspelling the word "Does". It is not "Dose".

So, you're back to posting a very detailed explanation of some math or physics topic, then asking some question regarding a detail which has been very well explained.

The best answer I can give as to why ##\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{h\to 0} \dfrac{b^h - 1}{h} ## is because ##\displaystyle b^0 = 1## .

Likes malawi_glenn, ChiralSuperfields and Mark44
FactChecker said:
You have formula wrong. I think that ##\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} {\frac {f( x+h) - f(x)}{h}} = f'(x)## is a common definition of the derivative. Is that your definition of the derivative? Now plug in ##x=0##.
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

If I plug in x = 0, to the definition of derivative (the expression that you mentioned, I get

##\frac{0}{0} = undefined ##. I am not sure where to go from here?

Many thanks!

• Sad
Likes malawi_glenn
SammyS said:
First: The word is "Please", not Pls .

Also, you've been misspelling the word "Does". It is not "Dose".

So, you're back to posting a very detailed explanation of some math or physics topic, then asking some question regarding a detail which has been very well explained.

The best answer I can give as to why ##\displaystyle f'(0)=\lim_{h\to 0} \dfrac{b^h - 1}{h} ## is because ##\displaystyle b^0 = 1## .
Thank you for your reply @SammyS!

But plugging in h = 0 gives ##\frac{0}{0} = undefined##. How can ##f'(0)## be undefined since it is not a number?

Many thanks!

• Sad
Likes malawi_glenn
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

If I plug in x = 0, to the definition of derivative (the expression that you mentioned, I get

##\frac{0}{0} = undefined ##. I am not sure where to go from here?

Many thanks!
Actually, you went too far. You asked this:
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: I am trying to understand why as h approach's zero ##\frac{b^h - 1}{h} = f'(0)##.
Plug in ##x=0## to get the definition ##f'(0) =\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{b^{0+h} - b^0}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac {b^h - 1}{h}##.
Notice that this is the definition, it does not say that the limits actually exist or the value of the limit. You are trying to prove that, which is a step too far for now. I assume that is proven somewhere else.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @SammyS!

But plugging in h = 0 gives ##\frac{0}{0} = undefined##. How can ##f'(0)## be undefined since it is not a number?

Many thanks!
That's not how to evaluate this limit.

You are reading something into what is stated which is not there.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
h should not be zero, should only be close to zero.

Try this, set b =2.72 and evalute that fraction at h = 0.001 and for h = 10^-6 and for h = 10^-9

You should see a pattern now.

Repeat the above but for b = 2.7183

Wha do you find?

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Sorry completely forgot about this thread. I will come back here.

1. What is the general formula for computing the derivative of an exponential function?

The general formula for computing the derivative of an exponential function is f'(x) = ax * ln(a), where a is the base of the exponential function.

2. Can the derivative of an exponential function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an exponential function can be negative. This occurs when the base of the exponential function is between 0 and 1, and the value of x is negative.

3. How can I use the derivative of an exponential function in real-world applications?

The derivative of an exponential function can be used to model growth and decay in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics. It can also be used to calculate rates of change in exponential processes.

4. Are there any special rules for computing the derivative of an exponential function?

Yes, there are special rules for computing the derivative of an exponential function. These include the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. It is important to understand these rules in order to accurately compute the derivative.

5. Is there a way to simplify the process of computing the derivative of an exponential function?

Yes, there are certain properties of exponential functions that can make the process of computing the derivative simpler. These include the fact that the derivative of an exponential function with base e is equal to the function itself, and the fact that the derivative of ax is equal to ax * ln(a).