Evaluating an integral of an exponential function

In summary, the integral mentioned in the conversation can be expressed as a Gaussian integral and can be found using a cool YouTube channel called BlackPenRedPen. The value of k does not affect the result and can be set to 0 for convenience. The validity of this can be verified through differentiation or deformation of the path of integration.
dykuma
Homework Statement
I've been messing with this integral for a few days now, and have made no progress on it. I know what the the answer will be thanks to mathermatica, but I want to know how to do it myself.
Relevant Equations
N/A
the integral is:
1587172354600.png

and according to mathematica, it should evaluate to be:
1587172658000.png
.​

So it looks like some sort of Gaussian integral, but I'm not sure how to get there. I tried turning the cos function into an exponential as well:
1587172567500.png

however, I don't think this helps the issue much.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
There's a cool youtube channel called BlackPenRedPen and I'm sure he has done this integral:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_SvYP0k05UKiJ_2ndB02IA

and here's one that looks like your integral:

I had thought about looking through his channel, but I was not sure what to look for on there. That's exactly what I needed though. Thanks!

Your integral can be expressed in terms of a Gaussian integral.
$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left(-b \left(x+i \frac{k}{2b}\right)^2\right) \, dt=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left(-b \left(x+i \frac{0}{2b}\right)^2\right) \, dt$$
Notice the Gaussian integral is independent of k and k=0 is a convenient value.
you can verify this by differentiating by k or deforming the path of integration
$$I=\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp(-b x^2)\cos(k x) \, dt $$
$$I=\exp\left(-\left(\frac{k} {2b}\right)^2\right)\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left(-b \left(x+i \frac{k}{2b}\right)^2\right) \, dt$$
$$I=\exp\left(-\left(\frac{k} {2b}\right)^2\right)\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp\left(-b \left(x+i \frac{0}{2b}\right)^2\right) \, dt$$

Last edited:
Likes dykuma and jedishrfu

1. How do you evaluate an integral of an exponential function?

To evaluate an integral of an exponential function, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You can also use the properties of exponential functions, such as the fact that the integral of e^x is e^x + C.

2. What is the general formula for evaluating an integral of an exponential function?

The general formula for evaluating an integral of an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration. This formula can be used for any exponential function with a base of e.

3. Can you use the power rule to evaluate integrals of exponential functions?

No, the power rule cannot be used to evaluate integrals of exponential functions. The power rule only applies to polynomials, and exponential functions are not polynomials. Instead, you must use integration techniques specific to exponential functions.

4. Are there any special cases when evaluating integrals of exponential functions?

Yes, there are two special cases when evaluating integrals of exponential functions. The first is when the exponent is a constant, in which case you can use the formula ∫e^(kx) dx = (1/k)e^(kx) + C. The second is when the exponent is a polynomial, in which case you can use the substitution u = exponent to simplify the integral.

5. Can you use a calculator to evaluate integrals of exponential functions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate integrals of exponential functions. Many scientific calculators have built-in functions for evaluating integrals, including those involving exponential functions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind evaluating integrals in order to use a calculator effectively.