1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving/deriving first fundamental theorem of calc

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    I know this is going to be atrociously bad, but I like to try to prove things.

[itex]\frac{f(x+\Delta x) - f(x)}{ \Delta x} = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}[/itex]

[itex] => f(x+\Delta x) - f(x) = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x[/itex]

[itex] => f(x+\Delta x) = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + f(x)[/itex]

Now, express x as (x2 + delta x) and define f(x) in the same way we just defined f(x+deltax)

[itex] => f(x+\Delta x) = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + f(x2)[/itex]

We could now express x2 as (x3 + delta x) and define f(x2) in a similar way again.

[itex] => f(x+\Delta x) = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x + f(x3)[/itex]

(I should have subscripts or something similar, because these delta y/delta x's are not all the same thing, but bear with me :)

It is clear that repeating this process over and over becomes a sum of all delta x/ delta y

[itex] => f(x+\Delta x) = \sum \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} \Delta x[/itex]

If we take the limit of both sides as delta x approaches 0, the left side becomes f(x) and the right side becomes the definition of the integral.

[itex] f(x) = \int f'(x) dx[/itex]

I know a lot of things are messed up about it, I think I need to name all my different x's and y's for starters, and I'm sure I said a lot of things that didn't make sense as well, but this is a 10 minute attempt.

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the general idea.

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    That's quite surprising.

5. May 6, 2013 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Doesn't that demonstration use [itex] \triangle y [/itex] to stand for more than one quantity? Is [itex] \triangle y [/itex] going to be [itex] f(x_2) - f(x_1) [/itex] or is it going to be [itex] f(x_3) - f(x_2) [/itex] etc. ? I think you need subscripts to distinguish the [itex] \triangle y [/itex]'s.

I think your idea amounts to proving the fundamental theorem of calculus from an agrument using the Calculus of Finite Differences.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    Yes, as noted those delta y's are all different. I definitely need subscripts, I'll try to rewrite it sometime today.

I don't know what the Calculus of Finite differences is, but I'll check it out. My direction was just based off "the derivative is the quotient of a difference, and the integral is the sum of a product." Knowing that that was inverse-like, I figured that solving for f(x+h) in the derivative definition could give me something integral-like.

The only hurdle is that the derivative is "of a point" while the integral isn't, which I'm guessing is the reason why the sum of all of the delta y/delta x makes an appearance, as opposed to two terms as in the derivative.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  7. May 7, 2013 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A basic idea in the Calculus Of Finite Differences is the relation between summation and differencing.
    Let [itex] h [/itex] be a given constant. For a function [itex] G(x) [/itex] , define the function [itex] F [/itex] whose domain will be the integers by [itex] F(k) = G(kn).[/itex].

Define the function [itex] f(k) = \triangle F(k) = F(k+1) - F(k) [/itex]

If we face the problem of doing a summation [itex] S = \sum_{i=1}^n f(n) [/itex] then this amounts to the easy "telescoping" sum:

[itex] S = f(1) + f(2) + .. .+ f(n) = (F(2)-F(1)) + (F(3)-F(2)) + ... +(F(N+1)-F(N)) [/itex]
    [itex] = F(N+1) - F(1) [/itex]

One can approach doing finite a summation of a function [itex] f [/itex] as a process of seeking an "anti-difference" function for [itex] f [/itex].

8. May 7, 2013 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I meant [itex] F(k) = G(kh) [/itex] of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook