Proving differentiability in two dimensions

In summary, to show that a function g(x,y) is differentiable at a point (0,0), it can be expressed in the form fx(0,0)\Deltax + fy(0,0)\Deltay + E1\Deltax + E2\Deltay, where E1 and E2 represent the non-linear parts of the function. By computing the partial derivatives of the function at (0,0) and expressing it in this form, it can be shown that the function is differentiable at (0,0).
quietrain

Homework Statement

proof at 0,0 g(x,y) is differentiable
ma.jpg

Homework Equations

notes says i have to write in the form
fx(0,0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x + fy(0,0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]y + E1[tex]\Delta[/tex]x + E2[tex]\Delta[/tex]y

The Attempt at a Solution

i compute fx(0,0) = 0
and fy(0,0) = 0

but what's the E talking about?

what am i trying to do when i express the function in that form? and how does that show that it is differentiable? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

The "E" is the non-linear partm, with one "x" or "y" factored out. For example, if the problem were [itex]f(x,y)= x^2+ y^2+ x+ y[/itex] then [itex]f_x(0, 0)= 1[/itex] and [itex]f_y(0, 0)= 1[/itex] so the "[itex]f_x\Delta x+ f_y\Delta y[/itex]" part is just [itex]\Delta x+ \Delta y[/itex].

Now [itex]F(\Delta x, \Delta y)= (\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2+ \Delta x+ \Delta y[/itex] so that the "[itex]E_1\Delta x+ E_2\Delta x[/itex]" is [itex](\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2[/itex] which means that [itex]E_1= \Delta x[/itex] and [itex]E_2= \Delta y[/itex].

erm ok but how does all those show that the function is differentiable at a point? you mean as long as i can manipulate the function g(x,y) into the form of
fx(0,0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x + fy(0,0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]y + E1[tex]\Delta[/tex]x + E2[tex]\Delta[/tex]y
then i have shown it is differentiable at 0,0?

but the form of g(x,y) doesn't look kind :(

1. What is the definition of differentiability in two dimensions?

Differentiability in two dimensions refers to the property of a function to have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function must be continuous and have a unique tangent line at each point.

2. How can I prove differentiability in two dimensions?

The most common method for proving differentiability in two dimensions is by using the limit definition of derivatives. This involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in inputs approaches zero and verifying that it exists and is equal to the derivative at that point.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of differentiability in two dimensions?

Geometrically, differentiability in two dimensions means that the graph of the function has a well-defined tangent line at every point. This implies that the graph is smooth and has no sharp edges or corners.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points but not at others in two dimensions?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points but not at others in two dimensions. This usually occurs when the function has a sharp corner or discontinuity at a specific point, making it impossible to have a well-defined tangent line at that point.

5. What are some common examples of functions that are not differentiable in two dimensions?

Some common examples of functions that are not differentiable in two dimensions include absolute value functions, step functions, and functions with sharp corners or cusps. These functions violate the definition of differentiability by not having a well-defined derivative at certain points.