1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Differentiability of a Piece-wise Function

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    1. Suppose f(x)=0 if x is irrational, and f(x)=x if x is rational. Is f differentiable at x=0?

2. the derivative= lim[h->0] [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h

3. I don't really know how to start, but I do know that between any two real numbers, there exists a rational and irrational number. So I'm guessing that has something to do with solving for the answer. f'(0)= lim[h->0] f(h)/h

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so there are rational numbers as close as you want to 0. And irrational numbers. Pick h to be rational. What's f(h)/h? Same question for irrational.

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    For rational,
    f'(0)= lim[h->0] f(h)/h= h/h=1

For irrational,
    f'(0)= lim[h->0] f(h)/h= 0/h=0

Therefore, the two limits do not equal each other, meaning that f'(0) does not exist?
    Was it that easy?

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. If you are clear why you can pick h values arbitrarily close to zero that are both rational and irrational. And I think you are.

6. Nov 15, 2011 #5
    So its like doing the left-hand and right-hand limits, except we are using the piece-wise function to our advantage knowing that x can be rational and irrational, and since there are an infinite number of rational and irrational numbers approaching zero, those are our 'left' and 'right'.

Thanks a lot.

7. Nov 15, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly. Very welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook