Proving Divergence of |cos(n)a_n| w/ Converging Series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
Messages
864
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Lets say that I have some sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 at infinity and that for all n [tex]a_{n+1} < a_n[/tex] but the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] diverges. Now I know that the series
[tex](cos(n) a_n)[/tex] converges but can I use the following argument to prove that
[tex]|cos(n) a_n|[/tex] doesn't converge:
[tex]|cos(n) a_n| >= {cos}^{2}(n) a_n = {a_n}/2 + {(cos(2n)) a_n}/2[/tex]
And since [tex]{(cos(2n)) a_n}/2[/tex] converges and [tex]{a_n}/2[/tex] diverges
[tex]{cos}^{2}(n) a_n[/tex] diverges and so [tex]|cos(n) a_n|[/tex] diverges.
Is that always true?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That seems ok, provided you can prove cos(2n)*a_n converges. Are you using Abel-Dedekind-Dirichlet (summation by parts)? I just figured out how it works, so I had to ask.
 
Well I know that cos(n) has bounded partial sums and cos(2n) = 2(cos(n))^2 - 1 so that means that cos(2n) also has bounded partial sums right?
 
daniel_i_l said:
Well I know that cos(n) has bounded partial sums and cos(2n) = 2(cos(n))^2 - 1 so that means that cos(2n) also has bounded partial sums right?

Not at all! cos(n)^2 doesn't have bounded partial sums and neither does 1! How did you show cos(n) had bounded partial sums?? Try and apply the same technique to cos(2n).
 
daniel_i_l said:

Homework Statement


Lets say that I have some sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 at infinity and that for all n [tex]a_{n+1} < a_n[/tex] but the sequence [tex](a_n)[/tex] diverges.
You mean series rather than that last "sequence", right?