1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving division of continuous functions

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, so if f and g are continuous functions at a, then prove that f/g is continuous at a if and only if g(a) # 0

2. Relevant equations
    Assuming to start off the g(a)#0, by the delta-epsilon definition of continuity, basically, We know that |f(x)| and |g(x)| are bounded.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have messed around with the end result that we need, which is when |x-a|< delta
    |f(x)/g(x)-f(a)g(a)|<Epsilon. This is what I've come up with:

|1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|.
    By looking at each piece it seems like they can be bounded as well. However, how do i manipulate what each one is bounded by so that when I multiply and add everything out, I get a nice simple Epsilon?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    you know...I could be going about it completely the wrong way too..

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've already proven a bunch of limit theorems. Can you use those limit theorems to derive this one?

P.S. I assume by # you meant [itex]\neq[/itex]; you should say that someplace rather than just using it without warning.

5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If both pieces are bounded by [itex]\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex], then what is their product bounded by?

(I assume by "piece" you meant the two multiplicands)

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5
    sorry about that, I didn't realize you could do that...I'm new here,
    And I need to use the rigorous definitions of continuity, so deriving it here from what I know about the bunches of limit theorems I know isn't sufficient.

7. Nov 26, 2007 #6
    It doesn't seem that easy. Maybe I should back up.
    The fact that f and g are continuous at a mean that for |x-a|<delta,
    |f(x)-f(a)|<Something involving epsilon(1)
    |g(x)-g(a)|<something involving ep(2)

By triangle inequality,
    |f(x)|< something involving E(1) + |f(a)|
    |g(x)|< something involving E(2) + |g(a)|

Since this is what we know, we have to start multiplying around and around using these two inequalities to get the final result |1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|. For example,
    |f(x)g(a)|< something involving E(1)*|g(a)|+|f(a)g(a)|.

Now I'm confusing myself again, Am I making this too complicated? or what

8. Nov 26, 2007 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a famous trick that's very useful for manipulating absolute value inequalities:

AB - CD = AB - AD + AD - CD = A(B-D) + (A-C)D

So if B-D and A-C are things you happen to know something about...

9. Nov 26, 2007 #8
    that only seems useful if I'm trying to prove that f*g is continuous at a, but I'm lost as to see why that's useful for f/g

10. Nov 27, 2007 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because you have

|1/(g(x)g(a))|*|f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|

Specifically, the
    |f(x)g(a)-f(a)g(x)|

term can be split. to deal with the 1/g(x), note that eventually g(x)>g(a)-e (e being epsilon) for all x within delta of a, for any epsilon

11. Nov 28, 2007 #10
    Okay, abandon my initial approach. I think it'd be ten times easier if I show that 1/g(x) is continuous at a. Since g(a) is not zero, then g(x) has to bounded away from zero. Which means that 1/g(x) will not get infinitely large, but rather, will be bounded by something else. Now if only I could put that into a nice algebraic argument that would have a bit more clout.
    If |g(x)-g(a)|< e then how do you get that g(x) > g(a) - e without ignoring the absolute values?

12. Nov 28, 2007 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By definition, that means -e< g(x)-g(a) < e so g(a)-e<g(x) and g(x)< g(a)+e

Geometric intuition time: If |x-a|<e for any kind of x, a and e, that means that x is within e of a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?