1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving equation involving limits without derivatives

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is not really a homework or a coursework question. But I got a warning that I should submit my post in this section of the website.. I'm just saying this because I don't know if the answer to my question is at all achievable. And if it is how I should go about trying to solve it. Anyway.. Here is my question:

Can I prove that:
    [tex] \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(\frac{a^h-1}{h})}{(\frac{b^h-1}{h})} = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{a^h-1}{b^h-1} = log_ba [/tex]
    without using derivatives?

Of course the first equality is trivial But I thought it might be important, that's why it is there.

2. Relevant equations

Honestly don't know..

Maybe the squeeze theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried making both sides an exponent of b. Which would looks like:
    [tex] b^{log_ba} = b^{\frac{a^h-1}{b^h-1}} [/tex]
    which means:
    [tex] a = b^{\frac{a^h-1}{b^h-1}} [/tex]
    I don't even know if that is the right path though..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use the taylor series of a^h=exp(log(a)*h) and similarly for b. But, of course, the taylor series involves derivatives. I'm not really sure you can even define what a^h even means without using derivatives in some way. I'm not sure you should bother trying.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Derivatives are inherent to that, though they could be hidden.

$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{a^h-1}{h}=\log(a)$$

can be derived a number of ways and is analogous to

$$\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} (1+a h)^h=e^a$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted