Proving Existence and Uniqueness of Y(x) for 0<Y(x)<1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cosmic_tears
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Hi! Thanks for reading! :)

Homework Statement


Y(x) is the solution of the next DFQ problem:
y' = [(y-1)*sin(xy)]/(1+x^2+y^2), y(0) = 1/2.
I need to prove that for all x (in Y(x)'s definition zone), 0<Y(x)<1.

Homework Equations


I just know that this exercise is under the title of "The existence and uniqueness theorem".


The Attempt at a Solution



I'm sorry to say I don't have much to show here. I just noticed that for y=0, y'=0, and for y=1, y'=0... but I can't progress any farther...
Moreover, I don't see how this exercise is relevant to the existence and uniqueness theorem, but it has to be...

Hints? Tips? Anything?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, what is "Y(x)'s definition zone"?

Second, can you put upper and lower bounds on y' in that zone?
 
I think Y(x)'s definition zone is all of R, since Lipschitz law is being satisfied in every closed area in R^2, etc...

Well, I can see that y'(x)<=y-1, but I can't see where it leads...