Proving Homeomorphisms of Restricted Functions: Do These Steps Ensure Success?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


This is a topology.

Let f: X -> Y be a bijective function.

If I want to show that [tex]f|_{A}[/tex], where A is a set in X, is a homeomorphism, I need to show that:

1)If U is open in the subspace topology of f(A) (w.r.t. Y), then f^{-1}(U) is open in the subspace topology on A (w.r.t X)

2)If U is open in the subspace topology of A (w.r.t X), then f(U) is open in the subspace topology on f(A) (w.r.t. Y)

and then I am done, correct?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. That will prove that f|A is a homeomorphism between A and f(A).