Proving inequalities - Does induction work?

In summary: I was stuck on how to do that on my own. When I got the hint that I could use something like sin(x+1) to help me, I was able to follow that direction and prove that a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c >=10.
ibc
Proving inequalities - Does induction work??

Homework Statement

prove that, for a,b,c>0, a+b+c=1, 1/a+1/b+1/c≥9

Homework Equations

it says that i might want to use the fact that for all X=/=0, X+1/X ≥ 2

The Attempt at a Solution

using the tip I could make it:
a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c ≥ 10
but that's as far as I got.

Homework Statement

prove using induction (or anything else):
|sin(nx)|≤n|sin(x)|
for natural n

Homework Equations

well it's true for n=1
after using the induction assumption I made it so I have to prove that:
|sin(x(n+1))|≤|sin(nx)| + |sin(x)|
now I'm suck, I don't see how I could use trigonometry equivalences since they all give me cosins and sins*cosins and stuff like that, and these absolute values are a pain aswell, I could square it here and there, to get rid of them, but I don't see where it's going again.

Physics news on Phys.org

I only have time for the first one right now. Use a+b+c=1 ! :smile: and did you prove this inequality a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c >=10 ?

For the first problem, pick some numbers and see how things work, and that might help you understand what is going on.

Given that a, b, and c > 0 and that a + b + c = 1, these numbers are necessarily less than 1.

One choice for all three variables is 1/3, from which the sum of the reciprocals is 9. If you choose a value for a that is larger than 1/3, then the other two variables will have to each be less than 1/3. For example, choose a = 1/2, b= 1/4, c = 1/4. What is the sum of the reciprocals? Is it larger or smaller than what you got before?

ya I get that, but I need to prove it, in a mathematical way... which I can't figure out how, if I take the case when a>1/3 then b or c could be >1/3 aswell, and then the other one must be smaller, of course the bigger I take the numbers, the smaller the third one will be, and thus the whole thing will be larger and larger, but I can't find a mathematical procedure to show it, I can't find the right connection between a,b,c and the fact that the sum of all equals 1 doesn't help me since I still have 1 inequality with 2 variables.

and I couldn't prove that a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c >=10 ?

ibc said:

using the tip I could make it:
a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c ≥ 10
but that's as far as I got.

ibc said:
and I couldn't prove that a+1/a+b+1/b+c+1/c >=10 ?

You said you obtained that equation from the hint and than were stuck...

I was able to prove it, although it took a bit of doing. The high points of my proof are as follows:
We want to find the minimum value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c, subject to a, b, and c > 0 and a + b + c = 1.

Let f(x, y) = 1/x + 1/y + 1/(1 - x - y)
(The 3rd term uses the fact that the three numbers add up to 1.)

Take partials wrt x and y and set them to 0.
[tex]f_x = \frac{-1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{(1 - x - y)^2}[/tex]
[tex]f_y = \frac{-1}{y^2} + \frac{1}{(1 - x - y)^2}[/tex]

Setting both partials to 0 results eventually in y = [tex]\pm[/tex] x. Since x and y must be positive, we take y = x, with both positive.

Now, f(x, y) = f(x, x) = g(x) = 1/x + 1/x + 1/(1 - 2x) = 2/x + 1/(1 - 2x)
= (3x - 2)/(x^2 - x)

g'(x) = -2(3x^2 -4x + 1) / (2x^2 - x)^2
= -2(3x - 1)(x - 1) / (2x^2 - x)

[tex]g'(x) = \frac{-2(3x^2 -4x + 1)}{(2x^2 - x)^2}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{-2(3x - 1)(x - 1)}{(2x^2 - x)}[/tex]

From the above we see that g'(x) = 0 when x = 1/3 or when x = 1.
The graph of g has a local minimum when x = 1/3 and a local maximum when x = 1. The latter value is of no interest in this problem, since it implies that y = 1 and 1 - x - y = -1.

Putting everything together, we see that x = 1/3 and y = 1/3 (from previous work), so 1 - x - y = 1/3 as well.

Going back to the a, b, and c of the original problem, the value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c is smallest when a = 1/3, b = 1/3, and c = 1/3.

What is that smallest value?
1/a + 1/b + 1/c = 3 + 3 + 3 = 9.
For any other values of a, b, and c that are positive and sum to 1,
1/a + 1/b + 1/c will be larger than 9, which shows that under the conditions of this problem,
[tex]\frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b} + \frac{1}{c} \geq 9 [/tex]
as was required.

I didn't use the suggestion that x + 1/x >= 2 for all x not equal to 0, so it's possible that a proof that uses this fact is simpler.

Mark

Mark44 said:
Let f(x, y) = 1/x + 1/y + 1/(1 - x - y)
(The 3rd term uses the fact that the three numbers add up to 1.)

Take partials wrt x and y and set them to 0.
[tex]f_x = \frac{-1}{x^2} + \frac{1}{(1 - x - y)^2}[/tex]
[tex]f_y = \frac{-1}{y^2} + \frac{1}{(1 - x - y)^2}[/tex]

Setting both partials to 0 results eventually in y = [tex]\pm[/tex] x. Since x and y must be positive, we take y = x, with both positive.

Now, f(x, y) = f(x, x) = g(x) = 1/x + 1/x + 1/(1 - 2x) = 2/x + 1/(1 - 2x)
= (3x - 2)/(x^2 - x)

Mark

Thanks
though I didn't get that part,
what does the partial derivative of this equation means, and what does it mean that you set them to zero?

If y = f(x) and f is differentiable, you can talk about dy/dx ( = f'(x)), the derivative of y with respect to x. Here f is a function of one variable, x.

If z = g(x, y), g is a function of two variables, so things get a bit more complicated. There is no longer the concept of "the derivative", but you can find partial derivatives with respect to x or with respect to y. When you take the partial of a function with respect to one of its variables, you treat the other variable as if it were a constant.

Mark44 said:
If y = f(x) and f is differentiable, you can talk about dy/dx ( = f'(x)), the derivative of y with respect to x. Here f is a function of one variable, x.

If z = g(x, y), g is a function of two variables, so things get a bit more complicated. There is no longer the concept of "the derivative", but you can find partial derivatives with respect to x or with respect to y. When you take the partial of a function with respect to one of its variables, you treat the other variable as if it were a constant.

ya, but why do we set them both to be zero?
when partial derivative for y = partial derivative for x = 0, then? it's the function's minimum?
if so, then by saying x=y is enough to know that x=y=z=1/3

If both partials are zero at a given point, you can't tell if you're at a local minimum, a local maximum, or neither. The function I was looking at, f(x, y) = 1/x + 1/y + 1/(1 - x - y) is such that I was reasonably certain that there was a minimum at (1/3, 1/3).

Just knowing that x = y wasn't enough to know that x, y, and z all had to be 1/3. There was some additional work that I did to establish that, which I described in my earlier post.

Mark44 said:
If both partials are zero at a given point, you can't tell if you're at a local minimum, a local maximum, or neither. The function I was looking at, f(x, y) = 1/x + 1/y + 1/(1 - x - y) is such that I was reasonably certain that there was a minimum at (1/3, 1/3).

Just knowing that x = y wasn't enough to know that x, y, and z all had to be 1/3. There was some additional work that I did to establish that, which I described in my earlier post.

but how can you assume there is a minimum at 1/3, 1/3? that's what we're trying to prove...

One could always check the Hessian to make sure that the critical point at (1/3,1/3) is truly a local minimum.

now I have no idea of what you are talking about
I think there should be a simpler solution, it's just the beginning of calculus course

1. How does induction work in proving inequalities?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that is used to prove statements for all natural numbers. In the context of proving inequalities, induction works by first proving the statement for a base case, typically n=1, and then showing that if the statement holds for some integer k, it also holds for k+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

2. Can induction be used to prove all types of inequalities?

Yes, induction can be used to prove all types of inequalities, including strict and non-strict inequalities. However, the specific approach and technique may vary depending on the type of inequality being proved.

3. Are there any limitations to using induction in proving inequalities?

While induction is a powerful proof technique, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used to prove statements for natural numbers. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient or practical method for proving certain types of inequalities.

4. Are there any alternative methods to proving inequalities besides induction?

Yes, there are alternative methods to proving inequalities, such as using direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by contrapositive. These methods may be more efficient or applicable for certain types of inequalities.

5. How can I apply induction to real-life scenarios involving inequalities?

Induction can be used in real-life scenarios involving inequalities, such as in economics, where it can be used to prove the convergence of certain mathematical models or in computer science, where it can be used to prove the correctness of algorithms. However, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and determine if induction is the most appropriate method for proving the desired statement.