1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proving Innocence with Physics in Accident

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    I understand that most likely there are no accident experts on this forum and I am not looking for one per-say. I was in an accident where I turned left after entering the intersection on a yellow, pausing for a red and then proceeding, only to be hit by a guy running the red light. We both received tickets for running a red light and I received a warning for not yielding to him. I have done what I believe is the correct math to determine that he hit me doing roughly 14 mph, and I'm hoping those on this forum might be willing to double-check my math. I welcome any and all assistance! When the gentlemen hit me, he pushed me approximately 2.732532 meters based off some convenient scraping. My car weighs 1715.48634 kg and using a coefficient of friction of 0.75 (split difference from source 1: 0.7 http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict.html#coe and source 2: 0.8, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html#c1) Resulting in:

D = (Vinitial 2) / (2 * u * g)
    2.732532 meters = (Vinitial 2) / (2 * 0.75 * 9.8)
    Vinitial = 6.3378403577 m/s
    Can anyone check this?

Thanks again for any and all help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2016 #2
    cant say anything about physics, but in this case, i dont believe you can use that to prove fault
    if thats what your wanting to do

if i understand right, your at and intersection, making a left, pass the light/line on a yellow
    wait for an opening, then get clipped by oncomming traffic while thier light is now red

this situation is "a matter of proper judgment and caution"

the reason you got ticketed is the officer decided you failed to properly judge wether you would
    be able to make your turn safely before the light change of oncomming traffic (the timmings have an offset for turn lane)

theres is no dissagreement as to thay hit you, but that you should have already been gone
    or have stoped behind the line and waited for next light

and that is what the officer had to make a judgment on

4. Jun 2, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry but we don't get involved in helping people with physics or math for traffic accidents. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook