Proving limits of electric fields on infinite planes

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion to first order of a term in a calculation where x is approximately equal to L/2, but not exactly. The need to expand to first order is emphasized due to the value of d being much smaller than L. The conversation also mentions the issue of x not being exactly equal to L/2 and the need to consider this in the calculation.
Cactus
Homework Statement
Hey
So I've got this question here to work on, and I've so far managed to solve the first part (a) (Proving that at the center the field is equivalent to an infinite plane however this next part of the question has stumped me as I cannot figure out how they solved to the factor they've provided.
I realise that the factor is a division of answer a and b (So E(field) at x = L/2 divided by E(field) at x = 0) and thats where the 1/pi comes from, as the n/2e in both cases (formula for efield of a plane of charge) will cancel to just 1/pi, however I'm not sure how they get the rest of the formula in part b
Attached below is the current working I've done but I can't see a connection from there
Relevant Equations
Algebra
1566620828199.png

1566620839846.png
rt a)

Physics news on Phys.org
did you try expanding things to first order one of your terms in your calculation you set it to zero
##
x \approx \frac{L}{2}
##
not exactly equal to it
and ##
d<<L
##
so you need to expand to first order this
##
\frac{L}{2d} \frac{L-2x}{\sqrt{L^2+{(L-2x)}^2}}
##
and
##
tan^{-1}(\frac{L}{2d} \frac{L+2x}{\sqrt{L^2+{(L+2x)}^2}})
##

timetraveller123 said:
did you try expanding things to first order one of your terms in your calculation you set it to zero
##
x \approx \frac{L}{2}
##
not exactly equal to it
and ##
d<<L
##
so you need to expand to first order this
##
\frac{L}{2d} \frac{L-2x}{\sqrt{L^2+{(L-2x)}^2}}
##
and
##
tan^{-1}(\frac{L}{2d} \frac{L+2x}{\sqrt{L^2+{(L+2x)}^2}})
##

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in saying that?

i am saying that the S is not just
##
\frac{E_{plate}(\frac{L}{2})}{E_{plate}(0)}
## which is what you tried to do
because x is not## \frac{L}{2}## but very close to it but not exactly it
so you expand the terms to first order

1. What is the concept of an infinite plane in relation to electric fields?

The concept of an infinite plane in relation to electric fields refers to a theoretical model where a plane surface is considered to have an infinite extent in all directions. This simplifies the calculation of electric fields as it eliminates the edge effects that would be present in a finite plane.

2. How do you prove the limits of electric fields on infinite planes?

The limits of electric fields on infinite planes can be proved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Gauss's Law and the concept of symmetry. By considering a small section of the infinite plane and using these principles, the electric field at any point on the plane can be determined.

3. What factors affect the strength of electric fields on infinite planes?

The strength of electric fields on infinite planes is affected by the charge density on the plane, the distance from the plane, and the angle at which the electric field is measured. Additionally, the direction of the electric field (perpendicular or parallel to the plane) also plays a role in determining its strength.

4. How do the limits of electric fields on infinite planes compare to those on finite planes?

The limits of electric fields on infinite planes are different from those on finite planes due to the elimination of edge effects. On a finite plane, the electric field strength decreases as the distance from the edge increases, while on an infinite plane, the electric field remains constant at a certain distance from the edge.

5. What practical applications does the concept of infinite planes have in the study of electric fields?

The concept of infinite planes is commonly used in the study of electric fields to simplify calculations and theoretical models. It is also applicable in practical situations where surfaces can be approximated as infinite planes, such as in the design of capacitors and parallel plate electrodes in electronics.