Does every basis of R^n form an orthonormal basis for some inner product?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
blue2004STi
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that any basis of R^n is an orthonormal basis with respect to some inner product. Is the inner product uniquely determined?


Homework Equations


I am not sure where to begin. Should I just define an arbitrary basis for a arbitrary R^n? I mean I think I understand the question about the inner product being uniquely determined but I am not sure where to begin.


The Attempt at a Solution


See above.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How do you define inner products in R^n? A familiar question: how and when do symmetric matrices induce inner products on R^n?

Uniquely determined means that there is no other inner product that has those properties. That is, given a basis there is only one inner product that makes the basis an orthonormal set. If you don't know what I meant by symmetric matrices you can just play around with scaling inner products by positive reals.
 
Last edited:
Do you mean in (x^T)Kx or in notation <x,x> or in formula? I'm not going to lie I'm a bit confused with what you're asking.
 
Do you mean by bilinearity, symmetry, and positivity?