Proving probability inequality

In summary, we need to prove that for a>0 and a non-negative function X, the sum of probabilities of X being greater than an integer multiple of a is greater than or equal to 1/a times the expected value of X minus a, and less than or equal to the expected value of X divided by a. The attempt at a solution involves using the indicator function and setting Y = X/a to simplify the problem.
Lily@pie

Homework Statement

Prove the following
a>0, X is a non-negative function

[itex]Ʃ_{n\in N} P(X>an)≥\frac{1}{a}(E[X]-a)[/itex]

[itex]Ʃ_{n\in N} P(X>an)≤\frac{E[X]}{a}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that
[itex]\sum_{n\in N} P(X>an)=\sum_{k \in N} kP((k+1)a≥X>ka)=\sum_{k \in N} E[k1_{[(k+1)a,ka)}(X)][/itex]
where [itex]1_{[(k+1)a,ka)}[/itex] is the indicator function.

I'm not sure how to preceed from here.

All I know is that for all ε>0, [itex]E[ε1_{[ε,∞)}(X)]≤E[X][/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second is not true. Is there a factor 1/a missing on the right?

haruspex said:
The second is not true. Is there a factor 1/a missing on the right?

Sorry, my bad... I've edited it...

You can eliminate a by defining Y = X/a. Does that help?

What is "proving probability inequality"?

"Proving probability inequality" is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between different events and their likelihood of occurring. It involves using mathematical techniques to determine the probability of certain events happening and comparing them to each other.

Why is "proving probability inequality" important?

"Proving probability inequality" is important because it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. It also helps in understanding the likelihood of certain outcomes and identifying patterns in data.

What are some common techniques used in "proving probability inequality"?

Some common techniques used in "proving probability inequality" include the use of probability distribution functions, Bayes' theorem, and statistical tests such as Chi-square and t-tests.

How is "proving probability inequality" different from other statistical methods?

"Proving probability inequality" is different from other statistical methods in that it specifically focuses on analyzing the likelihood of different events occurring and their relationship to each other. It also involves using mathematical techniques to quantify this relationship.

What are some real-world applications of "proving probability inequality"?

"Proving probability inequality" has many real-world applications, including in finance, medicine, and social sciences. It is used to make predictions and decisions based on data, such as in risk assessment, clinical trials, and market analysis.