1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving properties of lim sup. Good attempt at proof!

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    [/itex]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the following statement true or false: 'if (cn) and (dn) are bounded sequences of positive real numbers then:

lim sup (cndn) = (lim sup cn)(lim sup dn)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for all n in the positive reals. cn and dn are bounded.

Since cn and dn are bounded we know they converge.

Hence, by the theorem lim(cndn)=lim cnlim dn we can say that lim(cn)=lim sup (cn) and lim(dn)=lim sup (dn)

Hence, lim sup (cndn) = (lim sup cn)(lim sup dn)

HENCE, TRUE!!

******I am not sure about line 2 where I say bounded => converge. I know that you can say that converge means bounded but I don't know if I can do the reverse.*******

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    You can't. You can say that a bounded monotone sequence converges and that a bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. But a bounded sequence need not converge. You should be able to come up with a pretty simple example of a bounded sequence that does not converge (at least now that you know there is one). In the process of doing so, you may stumble across the answer to your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook