1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving some Dirac-Delta identity that uses Laplacian

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)\nabla^2[\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)]=6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)##

2. Relevant equations
    ##\delta''(x)/2=\delta(x)/x^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have obtained this:

##6\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z) + (xy)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(y)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(z)\Bigg)+(xz)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(y)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(y)\Bigg)+(yz)^2/2\Bigg(\delta''(x)\delta''(z)+\delta''(x)\delta''(y)\Bigg)##

This looks like a huge mess, hehe, sorry.

Any ideas on how to make disappear those ugly terms and only remain with the first one?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2015 #2
    Whats the identity for [itex]x\delta(x)[/itex]?

4. Apr 12, 2015 #3
    ##x\delta(x)=0## Is this a hint or were you asking me this?

5. Apr 12, 2015 #4
    yes, it was meant as a hint, your original expression seems a mess indeed, just do only the term [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}[/itex] of the laplacian and you see easily that it contributes [itex]2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/itex]

6. Apr 12, 2015 #5
    Oh! What a dope am I. Thanks hehe!

7. Apr 12, 2015 #6
    Wait, sorry. But those terms are divided by (e.g. the x term) ##x^2## So I would get in total that ##(x^2+y^2+z^2)\nabla^2 (\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z))=2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)(x^-2+y^-2+z^-2)(x^2+y^2+z^2)##

8. Apr 12, 2015 #7
    yes, expand it, one term of the expansion will be (for x^-2) [itex]2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)(1+\frac{y^2+z^2}{x^2})[/itex]. Now you can see that for example that [itex]\frac{y^2}{x^2}2\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/itex] is zero .

9. Apr 12, 2015 #8
    Thanks Delta^2 I think I've got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted