1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Flux through Ellipsoid

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ## E ## be the ellipsoid:
    $$ \frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}}+z^{2}=1 $$
    Let ## S ## be the part of the surface of ## E ## defined by:
    $$ 0 \leq x \leq 1, \ 0 \leq y \leq 1, \ z > 0 $$
    Let F be the vector field defined by $$ F=(-y,x,0)$$

A) Explain why ## \int_{S} \vec{F} \cdot \vec{dS} =0 ## in the case ##a=b##

B) In the case ## a \neq b##, find ## \int_{S} \vec{F} \cdot \vec{dS} ##
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part A)
    This really isn't obvious to me. Can we make some kind of symmetry argument? I can see that ## \nabla \cdot \vec{F} =0 ## but this doesn't help us as the surface ## S## is not closed.

Part B)
    It looks like I can do this ,but the answer I get is so ugly that it makes me very suspicious.

Can easily show (by calculating ## \nabla E(x,y,z) ## that:

(1) $$ \vec{dS} = \begin{pmatrix} \frac{x}{a^{2}z} \\ \frac{y}{b^{2}z} \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} dxdy $$

So:

(2) $$ I=\int \vec{F} \cdot \vec{dS} =\frac{a^{2}-b^{2}}{a^{2}b^{2}} \int_{x=0}^{x=1}\int_{y=0}^{y=1} \frac{xy}{z} $$

(3) Substituting in for ##z##:
    $$ I = \frac{a^{2}-b^{2}}{a^{2}b^{2}} \int_{x=0}^{x=1}\int_{y=0}^{y=1} \frac{xy}{\sqrt{1-\bigg(\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}} \bigg)}} $$

If I evaluate the inner integral by making the subtitution:
    (4) $$ u=\sqrt{1-\bigg(\frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{b^{2}} \bigg)} $$
    and then evaluate the outer one with a similar job, I get the result:

(5) $$ I = \frac{a^{2}-b^{2}}{3} \bigg[ \bigg(1-(\frac{1}{a^{2}}+\frac{1}{b^{2}})\bigg)^\frac{3}{2} - \bigg(1-\frac{1}{b^{2}}\bigg)^{\frac{3}{2}} - \bigg(1-\frac{1}{a^{2}}\bigg)^{\frac{3}{2}}-1 \bigg] $$

Is this ridiculous? If so where did I go wrong? :P
    Realize it is quite a tedious question, but has been very frustrating. Help would be much appreciated!

Thank you :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Notice that the size of the ellipse is all that changes as z goes from zero to one. So you can fix z for one slice at a time.
    Your equation 2 should be enough to see why it is zero when a=b.
    Fix your bounds on you integrals so z goes from 0 to 1 and bounds on x and y are functions.

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    Isn't the region of integration a square? ( I thought the definition of the region as ## 0 \leq x \leq 1 ## and ## 0 \leq y \leq 1 ## implied this?). Hence, no need for writing ## y=y(x)## in the limits...
    and yes, I know I can get it from (2), but the question was phrased in a way that it suggested you were meant to see this intuitively before getting to (2), and I didn't know how to do that.

Thanks!

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

It can't be the square, unless a and b are large enough. Look at the case where a=b=1. (1,1) which would be in the square region is not in your region of interest.
    You have a few cases. Look at the simple one I just mentioned, then to see how a and b affect the outcome examine when they are both less than 1 (in magnitude), both more than one and mixed.

6. Apr 4, 2015 #5
    Ah, sorry. I forgot to say that the question stated ## a > \sqrt{2} ## , ## b >\sqrt{2} ## and ## a \neq b ##. Might this change things? (Though I admit, I don't know how they got these conditions).

7. Apr 4, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

Okay, then the whole area of the square is in the region.
    On ds, what would be the harm in leaving z in the z column?
    Then the dot product would eliminate it.

8. Apr 4, 2015 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That just guarantees your square lies completely inside the ellipse on the xy plane.

9. Apr 4, 2015 #8
    Oh, of course, because the diagonal of the square is ## \sqrt{2} ##. I see! Thanks. I think I am leaving ## z ## in the ##z## column though, but the vector field ## \vec{F} ## is ##\vec{F}=(-y,x,0) ## - or did you mean something else?

But am I correct in thinking now that the answer I first got is most likely right? :)

10. Apr 4, 2015 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your work any farther than your integral above. It is set up correctly.

11. Apr 6, 2015 #10
    So long as it's set up right, I'm happy. Thanks for the help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted