1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a limit does not exist

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attached pic

2. Relevant equations

See attached pic

3. The attempt at a solution

See attached pic

Basically I need to know if the way I've done this problem is OK. I approached the point (0,0) along path y=x2, substituted 0 for x and got a value of 1. Fine

Then I approached along the Y axis, meaning x is always 0. Because x is always 0 and the numerator, the value of the function will be zero for all y.

Is this an OK argument?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your argument is sound. (But why not just approach along y=x?)

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3
    Because theres an x-y on the bottom, therefore this will give a 0 on the denominator for all x

5. Jan 16, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right. So? Doesn't that prove there's no such limit?

6. Jan 17, 2014 #5
    So are you saying if the limit is not continuous in a neighbourhood of (x0,y0) then that's sufficient proof that the limit does not exist?

7. Jan 17, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm saying that if you have an infinite sequence of points converging to (x0, y0) such that the function is not defined at any of them then it cannot be continuous at (x0, y0).

8. Jan 17, 2014 #7
    Ok, I think that's what I meant. I have another question which I've been stuck on for hours: How do I find the derivative with respect to x of

xsin(x)

I'm really stuck on this, been looking for a good explaination on how to do it. I've a calculus exam tomorrow :cry:

9. Jan 17, 2014 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##x=e^{log(x)}##. So ##x^{sin(x)}=e^{log(x) sin(x)}##. Now use the chain rule on that. In the future, I'd open a new thread for unrelated questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted