Proving that a sequence is within certain bounds

In summary, the student found an upper and lower bound of the sequence, and used this to calculate a20 and 20.866. They were pretty sure about their calculation, and provided a brief overview of their work.
Elysian

Homework Statement

Define a1=1, and for every n>1, an+1 = an + [itex]\frac{1}{an}[/itex]. Prove that 20 < a200 < 24

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few things to no avail. First, I showed that this is an increasing function by showing an+1 > an. I tried finding a limit, by saying if lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]an = L then lim[itex]_{n\rightarrow∞}[/itex]an+1 = L. Plugging in L, and solving but that didn't help. I feel like I need to find an upper and lower bound and work from there but I'm not sure how

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the complete question?

Yeah it is.

The first step is to get some idea of how fast an grows. If you think of the recurrence relation as a PDE, Δa = an+1 - an = 1/a then you can integrate to get a as a function of n. You'll then see how the n=200 relates to the lower bound of 20. Next, need to make up some inductive hypothesis for how far the sequence can deviate from the analytic solution.

Hi Elysian... Have you solved this now, got too busy elsewhere, or given up? Did you understand my hint? I can guide you to the solution.

haruspex said:
Hi Elysian... Have you solved this now, got too busy elsewhere, or given up? Did you understand my hint? I can guide you to the solution.

I did actually solve it, thank you for checking back. My bad on not replying. I found an upper and lower bound of the sequence, and with this I plugged in 200 into the lower bound of sqrt(2n), and the upper bound of sqrt(13n/6) and then got 20 and 20.866 respectively.

Of course 20.866 is certainly smaller than 24, but it seems a bit tight given the number in the question. This makes me a bit suspicious. Are you sure about your calculation? :-)

CompuChip said:
Of course 20.866 is certainly smaller than 24, but it seems a bit tight given the number in the question. This makes me a bit suspicious. Are you sure about your calculation? :-)

Pretty sure. To give you an overview of what I did,

I took an and looked at an+12. Which gave a formula an2 + 2 + [itex]\frac{1}{ an+12}[/itex]. I compared an2 to 2n, and said that an2 > 2n for n[itex]\geq[/itex]3. Then by induction proved that this is the case for an+12 [itex]\geq[/itex] 2(n+1). Then I had to find a value greater than 2n, so I approximated that it would be (2+z)n, where z is a small number. Finding z to be 1/6, I plugged that in, got 13/6 as 2+z, and then continued the same process as before.

What is the definition of a bounded sequence?

A bounded sequence is a sequence in which all of its terms are within a certain range of values, or bounds. This means that there is a maximum and minimum value that the terms of the sequence can take.

How can I prove that a sequence is bounded?

To prove that a sequence is bounded, you can use the definition of a bounded sequence and show that all of the terms in the sequence fall within the specified bounds. You can also use mathematical tools such as the limit of a sequence to show that the terms do not approach infinity or negative infinity.

What are the methods for finding the bounds of a sequence?

There are several methods for finding the bounds of a sequence. One method is to use the limit of a sequence and determine if the terms approach a certain value or if they remain within a certain range. Another method is to use the comparison test, where you compare the sequence to a known bounded sequence. Another approach is to use mathematical induction to prove that the sequence is bounded.

Can a sequence be bounded above but not bounded below?

Yes, a sequence can be bounded above but not bounded below. This means that the terms of the sequence have a maximum value, but there is no minimum value and the terms can take on any negative value. For example, the sequence {1, 2, 3, ...} is bounded above by 3, but there is no lower bound as the terms can take on any negative value.

How does proving that a sequence is bounded relate to real-world applications?

Proving that a sequence is bounded is important in many real-world applications, such as in finance, engineering, and physics. In finance, the concept of a bounded sequence is used to model stock prices and interest rates. In engineering, it is used to analyze the stability and convergence of numerical methods. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles and systems over time. Understanding bounded sequences is crucial in these fields to make accurate predictions and decisions based on mathematical models.