Proving that the det of the Lorentz tensor is +1 or -1 (MTW p 89)

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempts to prove that det|\Lambda\mu\upsilon| = +1 or -1, using equations derived from the result of \LambdaT\eta\Lambda = \eta. The speaker expresses difficulty in finding all the necessary terms and eliminating unnecessary ones in a neat and efficient manner.
TerryW
Gold Member
I have spent much effort trying to prove that det|[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\upsilon[/itex]| = +1 or -1 (following a successful effort to prove (3.50g) on p87 of MTW)

From the result of [itex]\Lambda[/itex]T[itex]\eta[/itex][itex]\Lambda[/itex] = [itex]\eta[/itex] I've produced four equations like:

[itex]\Lambda[/itex]00[itex]\Lambda[/itex]00 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]01[itex]\Lambda[/itex]01 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]02[itex]\Lambda[/itex]02 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]03[itex]\Lambda[/itex]03 = 1

and six like:

- [itex]\Lambda[/itex]00[itex]\Lambda[/itex]10 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]01[itex]\Lambda[/itex]11 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]02[itex]\Lambda[/itex]12 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]03[itex]\Lambda[/itex]13 = 0

I was hoping that by various combinations of products of these equations I would be able to find all the terms needed to produce det|[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\upsilon[/itex]|2 but I end up with a large number of terms so of which look to be OK plus lots of terms which I need to eliminate and can't. It is also very messy!

Is there an elegant way of doing this?

TerryW

Physics news on Phys.org
##\det(\Lambda^{T}\eta \Lambda) = \det(\eta)\det(\Lambda^{T})\det(\Lambda) = \det(\eta)\\ \Rightarrow (\det(\Lambda))^{2} = 1\Rightarrow \det(\Lambda) = \pm 1##

Likes 1 person

1. What is a Lorentz tensor?

A Lorentz tensor is a mathematical object that represents a physical quantity in special relativity. It is a tensor that obeys the Lorentz transformation, which is a set of equations that describe how measurements of space and time change when switching between observers moving at constant velocities.

2. Why is it important to prove the determinant of the Lorentz tensor is +1 or -1?

The determinant of a Lorentz tensor determines its signature, which is a mathematical property that describes the number of positive and negative eigenvalues of the tensor. In special relativity, the signature must be either +1 or -1 in order to maintain the principles of causality and the constancy of the speed of light. Proving this ensures the consistency of special relativity theory.

3. How do you prove that the determinant of the Lorentz tensor is +1 or -1?

The proof involves using the properties of determinants and the Lorentz transformation equations to show that the determinant must be either +1 or -1. This can be done algebraically or geometrically, depending on the approach used.

4. What implications does proving the determinant of the Lorentz tensor have?

Proving the determinant of the Lorentz tensor is +1 or -1 has significant implications in the field of special relativity. It confirms the consistency and accuracy of the theory, and allows for the prediction and understanding of physical phenomena at high speeds and in different reference frames.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving the determinant of the Lorentz tensor?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of proving the determinant of the Lorentz tensor. It is used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately track and navigate objects in space. It also has implications in the fields of particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology, where the effects of high speeds and different reference frames are significant.