Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the det of the Lorentz tensor is +1 or -1 (MTW p 89)

1. Aug 16, 2013 #1

TerryW

Gold Member

I have spent much effort trying to prove that det|[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\upsilon[/itex]| = +1 or -1 (following a successful effort to prove (3.50g) on p87 of MTW)

From the result of [itex]\Lambda[/itex]T[itex]\eta[/itex][itex]\Lambda[/itex] = [itex]\eta[/itex] I've produced four equations like:

[itex]\Lambda[/itex]00[itex]\Lambda[/itex]00 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]01[itex]\Lambda[/itex]01 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]02[itex]\Lambda[/itex]02 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]03[itex]\Lambda[/itex]03 = 1

and six like:

- [itex]\Lambda[/itex]00[itex]\Lambda[/itex]10 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]01[itex]\Lambda[/itex]11 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]02[itex]\Lambda[/itex]12 - [itex]\Lambda[/itex]03[itex]\Lambda[/itex]13 = 0

I was hoping that by various combinations of products of these equations I would be able to find all the terms needed to produce det|[itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\upsilon[/itex]|2 but I end up with a large number of terms so of which look to be OK plus lots of terms which I need to eliminate and can't. It is also very messy!

Is there an elegant way of doing this?

TerryW

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

##\det(\Lambda^{T}\eta \Lambda) = \det(\eta)\det(\Lambda^{T})\det(\Lambda) = \det(\eta)\\ \Rightarrow (\det(\Lambda))^{2} = 1\Rightarrow \det(\Lambda) = \pm 1##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook