1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that two metrics are topologically equivalent

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##(X,d)## a metric space and ##f: X→X## an injective, continuous and open function. We define ##d' : XxX→ \mathbb R_{≥0}## as ##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))##. Prove that ##d'## defines a distance and that ##d'## is topologically equivalent to ##d##.

The attempt at a solution.

Here's the first part: using the fact that d is a distance, we have that
    1)##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))≥0##
    2)##d'(x,y)=0## iff ##d(f(x),f(y))=0## iff ##f(x)=f(y)##, ##f## is injective, so ##x=y##.
    3)##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))=d(f(y),f(x))=d'(y,x)##
    4)##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))≤d(f(x),f(z)+d(f(z),f(y))=d'(x,z)+d(z,y)##

As you can see, this is the easy part. I got stuck trying to prove that ##d'## and ##d## are topologically equivalent. To prove this, I should take an open set in ##(X,d)## and prove it is also open in ##(X,d')##. Then, I should take an open set in ##(X,d')## and prove it's open with the metric ##d##. So let ##U## be an open set with ##d'##. Let ##x \in U##, then, there exists ##r_x>0## such that ##B_d(x,r_x) \subset U##. How can I get the appropiate radius ##r'_x## to find a ball ##B_d'(x,r'_x)## is included in ##U##?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Two metrics d and d' are topologically equivalent if and only if the identity function is both (d,d')-continuous and (d',d)-continuous.

The identity is (d,d')-continuous at [itex]x \in X[/itex] if and only if for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]y \in X[/itex], if [itex]d(x,y) < \delta[/itex] then [itex]d'(x,y) < \epsilon[/itex].

The identity is (d',d)-continuous at [itex]x \in X[/itex] if and only if for every [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that for all [itex]y \in X[/itex], if [itex]d'(x,y) < \delta[/itex] then [itex]d(x,y) < \epsilon[/itex].

At some point you should expect to use the facts that f is continuous and open (both with respect to d), neither of which you have yet used.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    I think I could do it with the property you've suggested:

First, I'll show that ##Id:(X,d)→(X,d')## is continuous.
    Let ##x \in X## and let ##ε>0##. We know that ##f## is continuous, so, for that given ##ε##, there exists ##δ_{x,ε}## such that ##d(x,y)< δ_{x,ε}##→##d(f(x),f(y))<ε##. But then, ##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))<ε##. This shows the identity from ##(X,d)## to ##(X,d')## is continuous.

Now it remains to prove that ##Id:(X,d')→(X,d)## is continuous. So let ##x \in X## and let ##ε>0##. We know f is open, so ##f(B(x,ε))## is an open set in ##(X,d)##. This means that there exists ##δ'## such that ##B_{d}(f(x),δ') \subset f(B_{d}(x,ε))##. If ##d'(x,y)=d(f(x),f(y))<δ'####→ f(y) \in f(B_{d}(x,ε)) → y \in B_{d}(x,ε) → d(x,y)<ε##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted