Proving σ([a]) = [5a + 3] is bijective on Z_11

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danielm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Danielm
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let σ : Z_11 → Z_11 be given by σ([a]) = [5a + 3]). Prove that σ is bijective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I am just wondering if I can treat σ as a normal function and prove that is bijective by using the definitions of one to one and onto.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Danielm said:

Homework Statement


Let σ : Z_11 → Z_11 be given by σ([a]) = [5a + 3]). Prove that σ is bijective.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I am just wondering if I can treat σ as a normal function and prove that is bijective by using the definitions of one to one and onto.
Yes, so long as you keep in mind how σ is defined, as regards what equivalence class maps to what other equivalence class.