Proving the Change of Coordinate Matrix for Left-Multiplication Transformation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
iomtt6076
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove: Let [tex]A \in \mathrm{M}_{n \times n}(\mathbb{F})[/tex] and let [tex]\gamma[/tex] be an ordered basis for [tex]\mathbb{F}^n[/tex]. Then [tex][\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = Q^{-1}AQ[/tex], where Q is the nxn matrix whose jth column is the jth vector of [tex]\gamma[/tex].


Homework Equations


[tex]\boldmath{L}_A[/tex] denotes the left-multiplication transformation.


The Attempt at a Solution


Let [tex]\beta[/tex] be the standard ordered basis for [tex]\mathbb{F}^n[/tex] and C the change of coordinate matrix from [tex]\beta[/tex]-coordinates to [tex]\gamma[/tex]-coordinates. Then [tex][\boldmath{L}_A]_{\beta} = A[/tex] and we have [tex][\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = C^{-1}AC[/tex]. Where I'm stuck is showing that the jth column of C is the jth vector of [tex]\gamma[/tex]. Any hints would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix C whose jth column is the jth vector of gamma maps the standard basis (1,0...0), (0,1,...0)...(0,0...1) into gamma, doesn't it?
 
Dick said:
The matrix C whose jth column is the jth vector of gamma maps the standard basis (1,0...0), (0,1,...0)...(0,0...1) into gamma, doesn't it?

Dick, thanks for the response. I think I got it now. C should be the change of coordinate matrix from gamma-coordinates to beta-coordinates, not beta to gamma as I had stated above at first. In other words, for [tex][\boldmath{L}_A]_{\gamma} = C^{-1}AC[/tex] to hold true, [tex]C = [\boldmath{I}]_{\gamma}^{\beta}[/tex] where I is the identity transformation. Then everything makes sense.